Chapter 6

Sasha chuckled. She thought Kai was the kind of person that would always make you feel as if you've known her for ages even though you've just met. "Ang sweet mo naman," she told her. "Hoy, seryoso ako ha. Walang magugutom sa bahay na toh. I'm just making sure na you're well taken care of kasi pano mo maaalagaan ang lola ko kung kulang ka na nga sa tulog tapos you're not eating a proper meal pa," Kai lectured. Sasha smiled. "Eh ikaw ba you're able to eat properly between your shifts?" She asked. She watched as Kai had boiled something on a pot. "Need help?" She offered. "Hindi na. Okay lang. Relax ka na lang muna dyan while hinihintay magising si lola," Kai told her. Then she thought about Sasha's question. It was the first time someone else other than Kiera had asked whether or not she's able to eat properly at work. "To tell you the truth, hindi masyado. Walang time eh," she admitted. "Alin?" Sasha asked. "Yung tanong mo—kung nakakakain bako ng maayos sa work," Kai answered. Sasha sighed. "See. I think you're the kind na inuuna lagi yung iba tapos nakakalimutan na yung sarili," she told her. Kai had to smile to that. "Is that your first impression of me?" She asked. Their eyes met. Sasha gave her a smile back. "Maybe?" She answered. Kai smiled even bigger. "Pano mo naisip yun about me?" She asked curiously. Sasha bit her lip while she tried to think. "Kasi instead na magpahinga ka sa off mo, you're here. You're making sure okay ang lola mo. Now I know hindi ko alam yung family dynamics nyo or kung ano mang responsibilities na expected sayo pero like I said, you're here. Sabi mo mama mo nasa San Diego, so technically, hindi nya magawa toh para sa lola mo so ikaw yung nandito. Ikaw yung nagshoulder ng responsibility na yun. Tapos you said pa na gusto mong malaman the level of care needed sa lola mo during the night, so you chose to sleep here kesa sa comfort ng sarili mong bahay. Then eto ka ngayon, ikaw na nag-take over sa kusina kahit na alam mong may caregiver naman na could prepare your lola's meal. At pati ako inisip mo pa," Sasha explained. Kai couldn't help but laugh. "Bakit??" Sasha asked. "Totoo naman diba??" She added. Kai laughed even more. "I love how nag-explain ka talaga," she told her. "Eh ganun talaga. You asked eh," Sasha replied. Kai couldn't stop herself from smiling. "You know what's my first impression of you?" She asked. Sasha sat up straight. Then she leaned on the counter showing interest. Kai laughed again. "Someone who's overworked and doesn't know what food is," she spilled. Sasha laughed this time. "Grabe ka naman sakin," she said. "It's true. Napaisip nga ako kung kaya mo bang patayuin man lang si lola. Ang payat payat mo," Kai admitted. "Oh, so you're saying I'm scrawny?" Sasha asked with a laugh. "Hoy, hindi naman. Grabe naman sa scrawny. I just think you're malnourished," Kai said. Then she covered her mouth. "I'm so sorry. That was so offensive. Bigla na lang lumabas sa bibig ko," she apologized. Sasha burst out laughing. "Parang mas gusto ko pa ung scrawny kasi pwede pa kita i-prove wrong. Yung malnourished kasi parang—parang oo nga, if I'm really going to be honest with myself, oo nga may pagka-malnourished nga ako," Sasha didn't want Kai to feel bad. "Sorry talaga. But yes, if you think about it, 'mal' in Spanish means bad. Ramen? It's bad kasi it's processed. Fastfood is bad. Junk is bad. You're basically feeding yourself with bad stuff so technically malnourished is a right term," Kai explained. "Oo nga. Di mo naman kasi kelangan mag-explain," Sasha beckoned with a giggle. "Eh ikaw kasi. Ba't ba kasi parang ang offensive ng word na 'malnourished'?" Kai asked. Then they both laughed.

"Kai," Tonya, Kai's grandmother, called out from the living room after a few minutes. "Ay," Kai said. She was about to take her apron off when Sasha stopped her. "Ako na," Sasha said. "Hindi, okay lang," Kai replied. "Trabaho ko toh diba? Ako na. It's my time to shine," Sasha reminded her. Kai laughed. "Sorry, inaagawan kita ng moment noh?" She said and Sasha laughed with her.

"Si Kai?" Tonya asked when she saw that it wasn't her granddaughter who approached her. "Lola, nasa kusina po si Kai. Nagluluto po ng dinner," Sasha told her. "Kelangan ko magbanyo," Tonya informed her. While Sasha helped the elderly woman up, Tonya looked at her. "Hindi ba trabaho mo yun?" The elderly asked. Kai heard it all the way to the kitchen. "It's okay, lola. I wanted to take over sa kitchen if you don't mind," Kai called out. "Of course I mind," Tonya mumbled. Kai didn't hear it, but Sasha sure did. It could be that Tonya was in pain, but Sasha thought she wasn't the friendliest elderly woman.