Loss

"Maybe he's making this shit up."
Natasha shook her head at you, her eyes hanging as she kicked rocks off the edge. She moved past you, pacing towards a boulder before sitting atop it.
"No, I don't think so." came her delayed reply.
"Thanos left here with the stone...without his daughter. That's not a coincidence."
You sighed, unwilling to believe the words leaving Natasha's lips. She looked up at you. taking your hand.
"Whatever it takes..."
You scoffed at her positivity, replying sarcastically.
"Yeah, whatever it takes."
You turn, walking away from the scene, to the opposing end of the cliff, holding your face in your hands. A few moments passed before you heard Natasha's light footing behind you. She spoke quietly, resting her hand on your shoulder.
"If we don't get that stone, billions of people stay dead."
You kept your back facing her as you lifted your head. A sense of finality in the decision you had come to.
"Then I guess we both know who it's gotta be."
"I guess we do"
You were now facing Natasha, her gaze fixed against yours. You took her hand in both of yours, squeezing tightly. Your initial grin fell as you noticed the sacrificial glint in Natasha's stare.
"I'm starting to think we mean different people here, Nat."
She leaned in, touching her lips to yours tenderly.
"This is all it's about, Y/N, bringing everybody back."
Rolling your eyes at her, you gave your reply.
"Don't you get all decent on me now."
You were holding her waist in your hands firmly, anticipating her next move.
"You think I wanna do it ? I'm trying to save your life you idiot."
You hummed quietly, the truth of the matter sinking in.
"Well I don't want you to, how's that. I lost you once before, Nat. I can't lose you again."
"So you'll let me lose you ? I can't let that happen."
"You're a pain in my ass, you know that."
She nodded slowly, pressing her forehead to yours.
You spoke into her mouth, kissing her one final time.
"Fine, you win."
She retreated from you, her eyes welling with relief.

The corners of your mouth upturned, a sly countenance smothering your face as Natasha frowned. You kicked her knee forcefully, pushing her to the ground, resting yourself on her stomach while pinning her to the floor. She struggled beneath you for a moment before laying back - staring up at you with a fearful look.
"Tell James I'll miss him and tell Wanda I'm sorry."
She slid her arms from your grip, destabilising your balance before switching position - now pinning you.
"Tell them yourself."
She stood before you, as you scrambled to stand. Before you were able, you were thrown to the floor once again, overtaken by a surge of electricity. Natasha had shot a widows bite at you. You squirmed for a moment beneath it, before forcefully ripping it from you, swiping your fingers beneath it just as Natasha had taught you. As she ran off, you tripped her, before pulling her to the side and tagging her to a stray rock with one of Tony's vibranium cuffs. She reached for you, missing your arm by inches as you sped off, turning just once more to look at her before leaping off the cliff's edge - accepting your imminent fate.

Suddenly, through your descent, Natasha was falling next to you connected to the sheer face of the cliff by a wire. She twisted grabbing your arm in an attempt to connect you to the grapple.

She almost caught you. Once again you had escaped with only inches to spare.

Instead you pushed the connection in on her, the waistband of her suit now encased by the wire. She was caught abruptly, dangling by the hook as she grabbed your wrist, holding onto you with little strength. Her breathing became short and restricted as she bent out of shape to reach your hand. The wire had been used to it's last, leaving her unable to grab hold of you.
"Wait !" she shouted down at you as your hand went limp, unwilling to hold on.
You beamed up at her, taking in the features of her face one last time. The very features you fell in love with - the deep green of her eyes, her soft, full lips.
"Let me go."
She winced at your words, shaking her head, vigorously denying you.
"It's okay, Nat. I love you."
Your wrist was slipping from her palm.
"Just wait for me, okay ? Everything will be fine, like you told me."
Her cheeks were puffed and red as tears ran down her face.
"No. Please, no."
You shook your head at her, flashing her a final grin before pushing yourself from her grip. You fell quickly, your final seconds spent looking up at the woman you had planned to spend your life with. Perhaps it was selfish that you forced it upon her to be you. But she would be fine, you hoped. Natasha deserved the life she had now - you knew her early years were tough. Of course, she loved you and would most likely rather spend these years by your side but reality does not always succumb to the desires of a human being. So, you decided that this was the way it had to be. Your fall was drawing short as the pit of Vormir's cliff welcomed you. Above you, Natasha turned away and you knew your time had come.

"Goodbye, my love." you whispered to yourself softly as the world around you turned dark.