-thirty one

A week had passed very quickly and before Aurora knew it, it was Veronica's birthday. And Evan's of course. They were finally going to turn seventeen. And in the Wizarding World, that's basically entering adulthood and leaving your 'childhood' behind.

Aurora's sleep was interrupted by someone— no, something rubbing its fuzzy head against her face. Belle. The cat Regulus had gotten for Veronica.

"Ugh, leave me alone." Aurora groaned as she tried to open her eyes. But her face softened at the sight of the cat. "Oh hello there."

Belle was living comfortably in the house. And Walburga and Orion didn't even know that there was an animal in the house due to Belle mostly staying in Regulus or Aurora's bedroom.

Aurora got out of bed and went to the bathroom to freshen up and get ready for the day. She took a shower and dried her hair with a flick of her wand. The perks of being a witch. She chose her outfit for the day and made more way downstairs.

Today was the day that Aurora would see her best friend for the first time in a long time. Aurora had packed a bag, that she used an extension charm on, with a pair of one of her silk pajamas and other necessities, seeing as they were having a sleepover.

Aurora had wrapped and boxed Veronica's gift earlier in the week and she also used a charm on the flowers so they wouldn't wilt. Everything's good to go. Now all that was left was to leave without interacting with Walburga and Orion. They would find something to complain about or get mad over.

When she finally got downstairs, she left the bags next to the door and went ti eat breakfast. Her mother could be seen reading the Daily Prophet in the dining room. She had a cup of tea next to her. Orion was nowhere to be seen, but Aurora didn't mind.

"What in the world are you wearing?" That was the first thing Walburga said to her.

"Well good morning to you too, Mother." Aurora gave her mother a very fake smile.

"You are not going out dressed like that."

"Oh please, what's wrong with dressing 'like that', huh?" Aurora raised an eyebrow. Personally, she didn't see anything wrong with her outfit. She was wearing white shorts with a button up shirt.

"It looks like something the muggles would wear." Her mother sounded disgusted with even just mentioning muggles.

"Oh come on. So now wearing shorts is meant for only muggles? It's hot out and I'll wear what I want." Aurora scoffed, taking a seat across from her mother. "Besides, who are you to tell me what to wear?"

"I'm your mother-"

"Maybe start acting like one." Aurora muttered under her breath before she took a bite of her toast.

"You know, I don't understand one thing." Walburga started.

"Yeah? And what's that?" Aurora questioned, sipping on her coffee. Unlike her parents, she liked her coffee with cream and a bit of sugar. But then again, the type of coffee her parents drank matched their personality perfectly well. Dark and bitter.

"I don't understand how you came to be who you are. Sirius, I understand. He was sorted in Gryffindor and didn't agree with us from the beginning." She continued. "But you? You used to be our perfect daughter. You did what was expected of you. But it all went downhill this year."