-forty four

"Where have you been?!"

Aurora was bombarded with questions when she returned to the party. After sharing one last kiss, her and Marlene decided to part ways, not wanting to draw too much attention. Now, Aurora stood in front of a very confused Veronica Rosier as she walked back into the Hufflepuff common room.

"Well, I just needed some fresh air. You know how it is, I'm not a big fan of parties and large crowds." Aurora tried to lie, not in the mood to answer the questions that would follow if she told the truth.

But while Veronica had the looks, she also had the smarts too. "You are the worst liar ever, you know that? I saw you leaving the party with McKinnon. So, is that a thing again or what?"

"I am not sure actually. I mean, we kissed. And, it was honestly amazing." Blush rose to her cheeks just thinking about their little moment, "We're going to see each other again tomorrow, after dinner. I don't what I would call this, but I'm just glad to have her back again."

"Well that's certainly sweet. But, please, be careful. Avery may be a prick but he's also a sneaky little shit. I don't want you or anyone to get hurt if your parents were to find out."

"I know, I know." Aurora sighed, looking out into the room, her mind filled with endless thoughts and what-ifs. If only her life was simple as James Potter's or Lily Evans'. They didn't seem to worry about anything at all. They were just a boy and a girl who fell in love and people accepted that. It would never be the same for Aurora and Marlene.

"I feel like I'm suffocating in here. Do you want to leave?" Veronica's voice snapped her out of her thoughts.

"Yeah, let's go. Everyone's leaving anyways." They walked out of the room and into the dark and empty corridors.

Some students were helping their more drunk friends get to their dorms safely, and others were walking with their partners. Veronica and Aurora walked in comfortable silence until they made their way to the dungeons.

"Do you think Cissy's asleep?" Aurora asked, breaking the silence.

"I don't think so. She's probably up writing love letters to Malfoy." Veronica giggled. "I don't understand what she sees in him. The guy is an absolute jerk."

"You went for my brother, so I don't think you should be talking." Aurora received a smack on the arm after saying this and rolled her eyes.

"No but Regulus was quite sweet. Even out of our relationship, he didn't go out of his way to torment people. Now Lucius on the other hand, he's a different story." She explained with a sigh, "He seems quite controlling too."

"Oh very. A relationship with Lucius Malfoy seems suffocating." Aurora agreed with her.

"Right! He doesn't even seem like he's all that great." Veronica said, interlocking her arms with Aurora's, "You know I'll always support Narcissa but she's so young and she's about to get married. I could never envision myself in that sort of situation."

"After seeing my parents' marriage, it made me want to throw the whole idea of marriage out the window." Aurora started, reminiscing on the numerous nights she had spent with her pillow over her head, trying to drown out the voices of her parents as they argued. "Getting married seems like trapping yourself in a situation that you can't get out of."

"Especially in pure blood families like ours." Veronica chimed in, "Leaving one will leave your reputation tainted. And so will never marrying."