koi no yokan|| yeji.soobin

<<<

<<<

koi no yokan: the feeling upon first meeting someone that you will inevitably fall in love with them.

how long does it take to fall in love?

yeji doesn't read much, but for class she did. and they had just finished romeo and juliet.

according to the book, love was at first sight. unrealistic, she thought. and what use was their sacrifice? why would you feel the need to be with each other without a moment to waste? couldn't you have at least tried to talk out with your families?

as you can see, she hated the book.

when she related this to her friend at the library after school—of which they were only there to wait out the rain that neither of them were prepared for—she objected and was quick to argue.

"of course love at first sight is real!" yuna exclaimed, getting some shushes from nearby tables—of which she paid about half attention to. she quieted down a bit. "you just study math too much."

how that was connected, she didn't know. as expected, she proceeded to spiral into a spiel of 'love at first sight is real and is indeed possible.' but coming from a girl that crushed on ninety percent of the guys she meets, it isn't so valid.

however, this mini debate passed time and soon enough, the rain let up. it was friday and they deserved their kdramas and snacks.

<<<

the morning was rough to say the least—the tangles in her hair didn't let up all the way so she gave in and put it in a ponytail, trying her best to make it neat. and also, she had gotten two hours tops of sleep last night.

to make it worse, lia was absent today—the seat next to her was empty. she caught the fever from her little brother and they had planned to go to the cafe together after school.

plus, it was raining. again. however, she brought an umbrella today—she was sure of it.

her attention was taken from her thoughts—which were filled of what she was going to do after school before it even started—by the teacher: mr. park...

and someone else who stood awkwardly at the door; who looked as though he wanted to run out and away.

"class," he began, "we have a new student joining us today."

mr. park gave him a nod to introduce himself.

he was good-looking, and he clutched his books in front of him with both arms—he was also very tall, but he stood hunched over. if he were to stand up straight, he would've been around six feet.

"hi... my name is choi soobin."

a blush brushed across his face as he tried to avoid looking up. everyone was watching him with hawk eyes as he fiddled with the edge of a paper sticking out of his folder. but he had to. quick! he thought, it'll look weird if i don't look up!

so he did. their eyes met--hers were the first ones he saw. normal, dark brown, and honestly pretty similar to everyone else's.

so why couldn't he look away? he should've by now, he knew.

yeji's heart skipped a beat. gross! she hated cliches.

but somehow, she knew that this feeling wasn't love at first sight at all. it was different--how she was so sure of that, she didn't know. turning her gaze downwards at the folders on her desk, she hoped no one noticed how her face felt too warm all of a sudden.

looking up was a mistake. a big fat one. those were the kind of thoughts racing through his mind as his face flushed red. if the nervousness wasn't overwhelming them, it was now. the dread of coming here was worse than when he got up that morning—which was by a considerable amount.

luckily, mr. park had a heart and decided to spare him the torture of telling the class about himself.

"well, sit next to yeji for today--lia's absent and it's the only empty seat, but we'll work it out tomorrow." he offered soobin a reassuring smile. "yeji, raise your hand please."

so she did. she could feel everyone's gaze on her as she tried to look indifferent.

with the anxiety eating at him, it was hard to not run and hide. but he made it to the seat—even with all those eyes following his every movement.

as soon as he sat down, mr. park started class and most of the attention was diverted and he could breathe a bit better. he let out a small sigh.

it wasn't complete peace, though. the girl that was sitting next to him...

was completely minding her own business and did so throughout the whole of class. he asked her no questions--even though he had then. she didn't even look his way for the most part.

he tried not to stare, but that was the kind of girl she was. she was pretty, he couldn't help but notice. but there was something about her--something else that he wasn't able to place. it was a weird feeling, and strangely enough, it drew him to her.

what the heck is wrong with him? they literally just met and he has a crush on her? no way. he refused to believe it. this must be no good for his heart. today alone made him feel like he was on the verge of cardiac arrest.

when class was dismissed, he didn't even think about talking to her. it's not that he doesn't want to—he just isn't sure if he'd be able to say something legible or manage to not make a fool out of himself. he left as quick as he could.

yeji watched his back as he retreated out the door, wondering who he was.