a light pt.four || yeji.yeonjun

(i ended up writing a lot a lot haha))

<<<

to be frank, yeji had never run this much before.

her heart beat quick in her chest as she struggled to catch her breath as they rounded a corner of the underground escape tunnel. why was this in a cafe anyways?

yeonjun sat next to yeji, once again about to ask the question that he had come up with earlier: why did she keep her hair so long? but like fate didn't want it to be answered—maybe not just yet—the doors to the cafe burst open.

"we're here for choi yeonjun," said a loud voice laced with authority and power. a guard, he guessed, not having to turn around. quickly, he dragged yeji away behind the counter, almost being seen. luckily, they weren't.

she opened her mouth to speak when he clasped a hand over her mouth, bringing a finger to his lips. it was then the girl, the same one with the caramel hair walked up to them discreetly, pretending to drop something and bending over to pick it up.

flipping a small lever, a small latch appeared only big enough for a person to climb down on.

"here," she said, "my grandfather built this to smuggle away from time to time. go. quickly."

yeonjun nodded a gestured thank you and went down the dark hole first. yeji disapproved—what a gentleman. she whispered a small thank you to the girl, hoping she could thank her properly someday as she went after him. there was a ladder leading to the bottom. missing a bar, and with a slip of her sweaty palms, she fell—in his arms. like he was ready to catch her.

"i knew you'd fall, clumsy," he sighed before setting her down. there were only a couple lanterns lighting the tunneled hallways, shadows covering the rest. for a moment she was stunned. okay, maybe she judged him incorrectly.

but before she ask any questions, there was shouting. and the light from the cafe shown again. yeonjun grabbed her wrist and sprinted in the opposite direction. they can't get caught. not yet. he loved his freedom.

that was why they were running in these poorly lit tunnels, trying to find a way out. eventually, with the blood pumping in their heads, they reached a light at the end. on the other side was a dam, the wall preventing the water from flowing into the caged in space amidst the tall rocky cliffs. it was old, and since it would affect no one if it broke, no one cared. but there was piles of old timber from when they did. one of the guards knocked on of them over, the logs rolling towards the wall.

it made a hole, water spurting out from it. because of that...

everything came falling down, and the cold water came rushing at an alarming rate. yeonjun panicked for a moment, looking back behind him to check if she was still there as if her wrist wasn't clutched in his hand. she stared at the water in horror.