a light || yeji.yeonjun

(when i first came up with the idea i just threw up all my ideas and had a hard time choosing one to actually finish haha

(when i first came up with the idea i just threw up all my ideas and had a hard time choosing one to actually finish haha. anyways, sorry for taking so long, but here it is:))

((also, please don't hesitate to point out if some of its confusing cuz it gets like that sometimes:))

<<<

the queen was sick, but pregnant with her first daughter. the kingdom was in panic. what were they going to do?

"there's a flower," the herbalist said, "it can cure any disease, but it is very hard to find."

in the high mountains, he said. hidden away from the world—a flower grown from a fallen star that had the power to heal.

with that, the people went to search. eventually, a guard found it hidden in vines. they didn't know that a certain woman was using its power to keep her young through the centuries she's been alive.

the queen became well, drinking the tea created from the flower. in time, she gave birth to her first daughter who, unlike both of her parents, had shining silver hair. and with the silver hair came the power of the fallen star. she held her in her arms.

"she looks like a star in the night," she said with a bright smile. her husband's smile matched hers, sitting next to them on the bed.

but the woman that was older than she looked, refusing to have this power taken from her, kidnapped the first princess.

"mother," young yeji said, "why can't i go outside?"

for the hundredth time she asked—at only nine years old. the woman, or "mother" wasn't who she said she was.

"because, for the thousandth time," her mother started with bitterness at being interrupted from her haircare routine. "it's dangerous out there."

today was her ninth birthday, and there she was at the windowsill of the tall hidden tower, watching the paper star-like lanterns fly into the night sky.

her mother, at catching a wrinkle in the light of the fireplace near the mirror, beckoned for yeji to come and—

"sing for your mother, dear," she called. "it'll help me to relax, sweetheart."

yeji went reluctantly, still wanting to watch the lights as close as she could get. but she sang anyways, loving the feel of her mother combing through her hair.

the hair glowed a beautiful light, similar to that of the lanterns and the stars. magical, literally.

she never noticed the way the faint wrinkles on her mother's face disappeared as she became renewed again.