13. Ulterior Motive

{ I've got something in store

{ I've got something in store... }

when [SOONYOUNG] woke up and saw no messages or calls from jihoon, he felt strange. after days of persistent calling and texting telling him the same old same old... now to be faced with nothing... it was weird and soonyoung didn't know how to feel about it. throughout the rest of the day, jihoon didn't send anything either.

so soonyoung headed down to the studio.

going to the top floor, soonyoung entered the passcode to the room and swore he saw jihoon jump in his seat. "fuck- soonyoung? what are you doing here?" he took the headphones off his ears. "just... checking in," soonyoung paused, "you didn't text or call."

"was i supposed to?" soonyoung took a seat. "i mean... you have been. for the past two days. i... kinda expected it." jihoon chuckled and soonyoung felt his body ignite. "i'm busy, that's all. i'll text you every morning that i'm out, if you want."

soonyoung thought it was meant to be mocking but he heard it like a fact. he'd have to wait to the next day to figure that one out.

jihoon turned back to his work while soonyoung silently sat there, watching him click buttons, drag things around and mess with his MIDI. "i'm gonna record a guide so don't laugh, okay?" jihoon said, not even turning to look at soonyoung. "i'd never dream to."

soonyoung truly would never. he loved seeing jihoon immersed in the world of his work. jihoon worked so hard all the time, trying to make things perfect. perfect couldn't exist. soonyoung believed it was subjective. anything jihoon made was perfect to him, but jihoon saw all his work as drafts.

my heart has no home

soonyoung paused. wasn't that one of the phrases he had read on jihoon's notepad the other day when he forced him to get sleep?

i've made myself empty for you

soonyoung watched jihoon sing, listen back, listen to it as a part of the whole track, delete it and try all over again. the process was fascinating but he couldn't keep his eyes off jihoon himself.

jihoon was fascinating.

soonyoung let himself think about him. usually he kept those thoughts in a box in his heart. but now... he had too many other things stored in his head so he'd just let himself release them as they came.

jihoon was fascinating.

his voice had always been beautiful to soonyoung. now that he'd released his song to the world... well, soonyoung couldn't say that he wasn't a little jealous. now everyone would get the privilege of hearing jihoon's heavenly vocals and he couldn't just keep it for himself. but he was also proud of jihoon. day in and out he would tell jihoon how talented and amazing he was and the product of those words and jihoon's drive created 'Simple'. the first song that escaped to youtube out of the hundreds jihoon had drafted.

other than jihoon's talents, soonyoung loved the person he was. witty and sarcastic at the right times, sensed moods so well that he provided comfort when soonyoung didn't even know he needed it. he was such a reliable person that soonyoung felt almost dependent on him.

every second of the day, soonyoung wanted to spend with jihoon. his presence was comforting and warm and soonyoung never wanted to leave it. sadly at the end of every day, he had to part ways with jihoon to their own individual rooms.

he looked over at jihoon in his big gamer chair, fingers tapping away at what was probably the melody line of his song. soonyoung smiled to himself. he couldn't contain it.

soonyoung hoped that one day- maybe, please- he could have jihoon spill over over into his little world.

he'd have to take the first step though. god knows what jihoon's like when it came to love... or feelings.

unlike jihoon, soonyoung was terrible at reading people. jihoon could understand a person at first glance, while soonyoung wouldn't have a single clue. this put him at a disadvantage when trying to gauge how jihoon would react to an impromptu date-

"soonie?" oh, and the way he'd call him 'soonie' all the time-

"huh? what?" jihoon chuckled, "i thought you'd want to hear the instrumental?" he nodded as jihoon unplugged the headphones.

"it's beautiful, ji." like you.

"thank you." i'm in love with you.

soonyoung bit his lip. his eyes travelled all around jihoon's studio, trying to distract himself from those direct thoughts.

ugh. he'd have to do something.

soonyoung was right, it was the melody line. jihoon was tapping again.

but he'd have to do something, no matter what jihoon's feelings were. he needed him to know, damn it.

"let's go for chan's party."

a/n; why is it literally 4am. ;-; I NEED TO SLEEP PLS 😭😭 anyway here is update ++ i finally finished a MUCH later chapter thats i've been postponing for a WHILE simply bc i didn't have ideas hahhhh 😅😅 BUT it's done <3 man i only have a week-ish left before i have to go back to school and use my brain again :/ Cant Wait! (sarcasm)

deciding to double update bc this was kinda short <33