Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Dawn's POV

So Marcus was dead, Leon and Marcus were brothers and my parents were shifters.

In one word, upheaval pretty much summed up my entire day.

I remember absolutely nothing about taking refuge with this pack when I was little, except that I had wandered away to stumble upon Marcus and the assassin house.

I didn't remember Mary, but Tony seemed to have very fond memories of her. He told me how she used to make us both peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and send us out to play with the other young kids in the pack and how I never wanted to go.

"How did they die?" I asked Tony from across the living room as Will sat next to me on one of the large couches. We had all moved from the kitchen into the living room when Leon insisted that this conversation would take a while. "Who killed our pack?"

Tony just sighed and ran his hands over his tired looking eyes.

"Marcus came looking for new recruits for his house. He had lost a lot of men in one of his job outings and needed to replenish his numbers, but he hadn't expected such a resistence from our pack. Most of the women and children were captured while the men were forced to fight for Marcus with the threat that if they refused, he would kill their families. We and our parents had been captured as well, but our parents had created a distraction for us to slip away and hide, but they were killed in the process." Tony said slowly, his eyes glazed over like he was losts in his thoughts as he spoke.

Next to me, Will took my hand in his and gave it a soft squeeze.

"There was something else though." Tony started again with a deep sigh.

"Micah was there." He finally looked up at me, his eyes filled with hurt.

"Micah was where?" I asked, bending over to rest my elbows on my knees.

"Micah was born in the pack. He was your age when Marcus came. He and his mother were taken back to the assassin house while his father was forced to Marcus' front line. Micah was too young to have remembered anything and Marcus knew that. Most of the young children under the age of four or five were taken to a different house. They were raised to believe what you were raised to believe. Marcus had drilled into their minds that they were born assassins and that shifters were the ultimate enemy, no matter what."

I took a deep breath and lowered my head into my hands. All of those innocent lives were completely destroyed because of Marcus' greed. All of the families that were torn apart were all Marcus' fault.

Just thinking about how different this could all be if Marcus wasn't such a lunatic angered me to no end.

"So Micah is still out there, and everything he believes is all wrong." I shook my head as my wolf growled inside me. This wasn't right. "Our entire pack was destroyed, and many of them are still out there but hate their own kind."

"Once they come of age, wouldn't the kids shift and realize that they don't belong there? Wouldn't they question their past?" Will asked, squeezing my hand again.

"I don't know. I wasn't able to look into it without raising the attention of Marcus. All I can figure, the ones that shifted are too afraid to come forward and tell something, afraid of the consequences. The other option is that their wolves are just dormant, like Dawn's was, until something happens to them that awakes their wolves enough to make them shift." Tony stood and went into the kitchen, soon coming back with his phone up to his ear.

"Hello?" He answered the phone at the same time as their was a knock at the front door. Will stood to answer the door but Tony stopped him.

"I got it." He said, looking at me with a smirk on his face. I gave him a questioning look as he moved to open the door.