Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Dawn's POV

"I have to go work somethings out. I'll be back in a few hours. Just stay here and I'll be back to get you when I'm done." Tony said, standing up from the bed we were sitting on as he went to grab the few things that he had brought here.

"Where are you going?" I asked, standing up, ready to follow him where ever he though was so important that he had to go right now.

"Don't worry about it." he said with finality in his voice, giving me a pointed look.

"Tony, tell me. Where are you going? What do you have to work out?" I asked, fearing beginning to set in that he had changed his mind and he was going to turn me in.

"I said don't worry about it." he said sterner, looking me dead in the eye. After a few seconds he gave a loud sigh and ran his fingers through his hair. "Just trust me, Dawn." he said, his eyes pleaded. Did I trust him? "I won't let anyone hurt you. I'll be back in a few hours." he repeated, grabbing his gun and slipping it into the waistband of his jeans, concealed underneath his shirt.

He stepped towards me and raised one of his large hands, softly touching my cheek with the back of his hand before he took a step back and turned, walking out of the room without another word, closing the door quietly behind him.

For the first time since Will had marked me, I was alone with my thoughts. I felt different. Stronger, even.

Now, I carried shifter genes. Will's genes. That's how the mating bonds worked. The mates shared their strong genes with one another, but not the weaker ones, insuring stronger pups.

Now that I was alone, I truly felt alone. I felt like I had no one. I didn't trust the shifters. I had to leave behind all the assassins. I wasn't sure if I completely trusted Tony yet, and my two best friends had no idea about any of this.

As soon as the two of them popped into my head, I immediately wanted to call them. I wanted to explain everything to them and have them understand. I needed someone on my side to help me through this but I didn't know if even they would accept me.

They're my family. I've known them my whole life, of course they'd understand.

'You have to be careful about who you tell about this. If they don't understand and accept you, they could be the ones to give you away to your headmasters. They could kill you if you say one wrong word.' My wolf said, interrupting my thoughts.

"They have to understand." I said out loud, mumbling to myself. My eyes caught sight of my phone sitting on the desk across the room and I couldn't help but walk over to it, wrapping my nervous hand around and turning it on.

I scrolled through my contacts until I saw Micah's name and hesitated. Maybe my wolfs right, I can't do this. I thought to myself, but felt my heart ache at the thought of never getting to talk to them again without at least trying to get through to them.

I squeezed my eyes shut as my thumb pressed the call button and the phone began to ring, either calling my two saviors or signing my death sentence.

It felt like eternity before the phone stopped ringing and a voice sounded through the speaker.

"Hello?" I heard Micah's calm voice, forcing me to hold the breath I had in my lungs. "Hello?" he asked again when I didn't have the guts to say anything.

Here I am, a top ranked assassin, trained to kill people, and I couldn't even say anything into the phone to my best friend.

"Hey Micah." I whispered, my eyes still locked shut as I began to shake from my tight nerves.