✿ fourteen ✿

"Abiogenesis is a hypothetical organic phenomenon by which living organisms are created from nonliving matter..."

Felix furrows his brows when he realizes he hasn't paid a single ounce of attention to what he just read.

"Abiogenesis is a hypothetical organic phenomenon by which living organisms... a hypothetical organic phenomenon..."

He groans and slams the book shut, only to be shushed by the girl next to him. He doesn't seem to be the only one at the school library late at night.

Once he gathers his things, he steps out into the chilly night and manages to catch a bus to take him home. He makes a mental note to bring Chan's hoodie with him next time.

As he settles down into his seat, his eyelids slowly become heavier...

...and he wakes up still riding in the bus, but when he looks out the window, he doesn't even remotely recognize his surroundings. He suddenly sits up bug-eyed, and almost runs towards the driver's seat.

"E-Excuse me, can-can you stop here?"

The driver looks around, confused. "Here? Are you sure?"

As Felix nods unconvincingly, the driver shrugs and opens the door. After he gets off the bus, he frantically looks around for anything familiar that can tell him where he is.

--------------------------------------

Chan attempts to pull his car out of the parking lot before hearing a buzzing sound coming from his back pocket. When he fishes out his phone, his eyebrows raise.

"Felix? At 11 o'clock...?"

He answers the phone without another thought, still backing out of his parking slot. 

"Hello?"

"Ch-Channie," he hears on the other end of the line.

Felix's voice barely came out as a whisper, and Chan slams his foot on the brakes.

"Lix? What happened? Are you alright?"

"I-I got on the bus and I think I accidentally fell asleep and when I woke up I had m-missed my stop and now I don't know where I am," he rambles.

Chan takes a couple of moments to process the information he has just been told.

"Okay, okay, okay. Send me your location." He tries not to panic. "And don't end the call."

"O-Okay."

Felix puts Chan on speaker as he attempts to text him his location as his hands shake. Whether it's from the cold or the fear, he can't tell. He can hear the ding on the other end of the line, meaning Chan has just received it.

"Alright, I'm coming to get you. Don't hide anywhere. Stay in a brightly lit spo–"

The line goes quiet.

Felix freezes.

"Chan?"

No response.

"Nonononono."

Felix hits his phone repeatedly, hoping it'll magically bring it back to life. Of course, because of his luck, he forgot to charge the device.

Felix takes a deep breath and looks around. He looks around and finds a streetlight a couple yards across from him. His nose is cold from the chilly air and he sniffles. And just a few steps towards it when he hears the faint sounds of footsteps behind him.

"Hey," he hears.

Felix shudders at how hostile the voice sounds, and the hairs on the back of his neck stand up.

"Where are you going, babe? My house is that way," the voice drawls.

He tries to suppress a whimper as he begins walking faster. Right as he feels a rough hand grab his arm he's blinded by a pair of headlights in front of him.

The car screeches to a stop and someone almost jumps out of the vehicle.

"Fel–"

Chan is cut off because Felix already flings himself into his arms and glances back.

"Felix- Felix who are you looking for?" Chan immediately wraps his arms around the boy.

The younger turns back and sobs into Chan's shirt.

"Someone... someone was...f-following me. They were- they were following me Chan," he hiccups.

Chan looks up and peers around, only to see no one in sight. As he feels his shirt getting more and more wet from Felix's tears, he gently pries his body away from his own.

"Get in the car."