Chapter 5 - ॐ

[Amina Clément]

CHAPTER 5

The Line in Between

It was a humid summer day. Sunset was near, and the sun was beginning to rest as it grew weary. The clouds were dense, and the heavy winds were tussling with mother nature.

My ceiling fan was on the highest setting.

I typed B-D-S-M into PornHub's search engine before hitting enter. I cringed immediately afterwards, disturbed with what I saw.

...Oh, nah. That's that white people shit. I don't think they're this extreme.

I shut my laptop down and rolled my chair away from my desk with a hopeless sigh.

I'll just have to go with the flow of things.

My phone began to vibrate consistently from inside my pocket. I pulled it out and saw that I had an incoming call from Taye.

I don't know why but my heart sped up. I picked up the call as I said, "Hello?"

"Hey, baby doll."

"Hey? Braille?" I said in a questioning tone, picking up on her voice immediately.

"What a good girl. Yes, it's me." She said, "I just wanted to apologize for my behavior yesterday. I'd love a redo the next time I see you. Okay?"

I felt myself relax as I responded, "Alright."

"What're you doing?" I heard Taye's voice in the background and there was a scuffle. Braille's voice got farther and I heard Taye say, "Hello?"

I chuckled lightly as I said questioningly, "Taye?"

"It's your knight in shining armor." She said in response and I could picture her smile.

"She apologized, didn't she?" Taye asked me.

"She did." I said as I got comfortable in my bed.

Taye let out that charming laugh of hers. "I knew it, and I was just thinking of calling you."

"Huh? Why?" I asked.

"There's something I forgot to mention to you yesterday." She told me and I said, "Yeah? What?"

"You mind if you don't take on any other bookings until you're finished filming with us?"

I pondered for a moment before responding, "I don't mind, but why?"

"I'd like it if you focused solely on this for now, just think of it as a break." Taye said.

...I don't know how I feel about that.

"Yeah, okay." I respond, "I can do that."

"Perfect. I'll see you next week, Amina." She says, and my name flowed so beautifully out of her mouth. It gave me a tingling sensation.

"You too," I reply before ending the phone call.

I got a message just then and it was from my co-worker Brianna.

Dawg 😫 I really need ur help

...How ironic.

I should ignore her just like she did me, but my empathetic heart made me call her.

"Hello?" I said once the other line picked up.

"Hey, what's up? How you been?" She asked.

"I'm fine, what's up with you? What'd you need help with?" I asked her, with the intention of getting her off my line as quickly as possible.