Chapter 7 - ॐ

[Taylor (Taye) Owusu]

CHAPTER 7

Choices We Make

I could only hear the sound of my heart beating and the buzzing of my phone. My surroundings seemed to fade away, as all my awareness was fixated on the bright screen of my iPhone X.

"Are you going to pick up?" Brianna asked, bringing me out of my focus.

I met her eyes as I said, "...Nah, it can wait."

The man who entered was now approaching us.

"Mr. Wilson! This is Amina. She's the wonderful photographer I told you about." Brianna said, introducing me to the loud man.

He shook my hand vigorously with a animated smile on his face. "It's so nice to meet you! Brianna didn't mention it, but is it okay if I put you on my schedule for a few more projects?" He asked.

I gave Brianna the look of death and she gave me a coy smile in response.

...This nigga knows damn well it's hard for me to say no in person!

I sighed inwardly before responding to him, "...Yeah, why not?"

"Great! I look forward to working with you!"

...Why do I set myself up like this?

After we got finished shooting, I hopped on the bus and sat in the first seat I saw. I was feeling more winded than usual today, and the fact that I hadn't ate wasn't helping a bit.

I then remembered to check my phone and I had two new messages from Taye.

You must be busy.
Call me when you see this.

My nerves returned and I dialed her number before deeply exhaling through my nose.

The line rung three times before it picked up. "Hello?" Taye's voice came out monotonously and my heart started thumping once again.

...Why must she sound like sex?

"...Hey." I responded cautiously.

"I didn't think you'd actually call..." Taye said as her tone lifted, and I slightly relaxed.

"Yeah... my bad about earlier--"

"Stop by and get it since I'm already home. I'm making dinner, so you can join me." Taye said, cutting into my sentence.

"Nah, I--"

"Did you know it was my birthday? You're not going to let me spend it alone, are you?" She asked, followed by that charming laugh.

"Where's your--" I start to say and she responds before I could finish, "She works all night."

...Shit.

I cussed inwardly as I found myself stood outside the all-too-familiar apartment door.

...This feels wrong.