Discharged

*Small time skip to a week later*

The police came to talk to me a few days ago but I just told them I didn't see who attacked me and I don't know of anyone that would want to harm me. I've been getting better at an accelerated rate. Or at least that's what Doctor Garcia has told me. The swelling in my eye has gone down to the point that I can see. It's a little blurry at times but I'm not complaining. I'm just glad I didn't lose my eyesight completely.

Doctor Garcia comes and checks on me at least 3 times a day. Sometimes more but never less. It's nice to have someone actually care for me without having ulterior motives. She's so gentle and kind to me. Something I've never experienced before.. I was bounced around abusive foster homes until I turned 18 then I was on the streets for awhile until I got on my feet. My life hasn't exactly been easy but people have it far worse than I do so I do my best not to complain because it can always be worse..

Doctor Garcia knocked on the door before letting herself in. She was carrying two lunch trays. I gave her a slightly perplexed look as she handed one of them to me.

"I thought I could have my lunch with you today.. if that's okay with you.." she smiled warmly at me.

I returned the smile and tried to hide the small amount of blush that was creeping up on my cheeks.

"That sounds nice actually.. you're more than welcome to join me" I said quietly.

She pulled up a chair and we both started to eat our food in silence. Not complete silence, the tv was on and one of the cop shows was on. A girl in a similar situation to mine was being asked some questions and I started to get uncomfortable. I knew I would have to answer those same questions but I'm still just not ready.

Doctor Garcia gently placed a hand on my shoulder before changing the channel to some game show.

"It's okay sweetheart you don't have to worry about that anymore okay..?"

I nodded my head and pushed the remainder of the food around on the tray, my appetite had completely vanished at this point.

"You know Audrey.. you've been here for a week and you haven't had any type of contact with anyone.. is there someone you would like for me to call..? A family member, a friend, boyfriend..?"

My head snapped in her direction at the mention of a "boyfriend".. I was about to get mad and shout at her but I could see the concern on her face so I just shook my head no.

"I don't have anyone.." I whispered.

"Then where are you going to go when you're able to leave..?" She questioned.

I shrugged my shoulders and sighed.
"Probably a shelter or something.." I said in a very quiet voice.

Doctor Garcia got quiet for a minute and I could tell she wanted to say something. I glanced over at her and she was biting the inside of her cheek.

"I mean.. I have a spare room.. you could stay with me for a few weeks just until you get back on your feet.. or as long as you want really. I don't mind at all.." she rambled.

I just looked at her, waiting for her to take back the offer and tell me she was kidding but she didn't. It would keep me away from Grace and I could save up enough money to move to another town..

"I..I would love that.. but I wouldn't overstay my welcome.. I'll move as soon as I get my life back together.."

She smiled softly and brushed a strand of my hair behind my ear.

"Darling I promise you would never overstay your welcome okay..? We just can't tell anyone that you'll be staying with me. It's against the rules of the hospital.. Do you think you can keep it a secret? I can also make sure you're safe from whoever did this to you and I can keep an eye on your injuries.."

I pondered for a moment then nodded my head shyly. It's always strange when someone shows me any type of kindness. I know there are good people in the world but I'm just unlucky enough to only encounter the jerks..

*time skip again to when she is released from the hospital*

Amelia.. well Doctor Garcia but she told me to call her Amelia now.. had to bring me a set of clothes because the ones I was wearing when I arrived were torn up and covered in blood. I told her that she didn't have to do that but she insisted. It was a struggle to get my clothes on but with the help of a nurse we eventually managed the task.

I sat on the edge of the bed drawing little cartoon characters on a napkin with a pen to pass the time until Amelia came to get me. A small knock on the door caught my attention. Amelia came in with some papers and shut the door.

"Okay so these are your discharge papers. You just have to sign this one here.." she paused and pointed. I signed the paper right away.

"I'm not technically allowed to take you from here so I'm gonna park my car around the side by the dumpsters, my windows are really tinted so they won't be able to see you as we drive away and there are no cameras pointed to that area. I'll leave now and you come down in about 10 minutes."

I stayed quiet the whole time and just listened nodding my head occasionally as she spoke. She had a confident yet soft spoken voice and that was one of the things I liked about her.

After listening to all of the rather specific directions it was time to execute the plan. She left the room and I waited the 10 minutes she said to before I followed the directions she gave me and ended up coming out of a side door. Looking around I didn't see anyone but I saw a blacked out car by the dumpsters. I quickly rushed over and got into the backseat like she had instructed me to. My ribs were a little achy from the fast movements but nothing I couldn't handle.

Amelia fixed the rear view mirror so she could see me and gave me a small smile.

"Just relax sweetheart, we'll arrive in about 45 minutes and get you settled into your new home.."

I let out a sigh of relief. Home.. something I've never had before. I've lived in houses but nowhere has ever felt like home. Hopefully this time will be different.

Hello here I am!! As promised, another update on Tuesday 😊 I hope you are enjoying this story so far! Please vote and comment, much love 😘💕😊❤️🥰