Chapter 20: Turning dark

Hey bitches,

Whether you've finished or not yet, congrats on getting through the school year because I know we are all fucking drained. Im proud of all of you <3

————————————————————————

Slipping through the door, I notice the prosecutor take a call on the other side of the empty room. I place Damien's gun in the back of my waist before clearing my throat and gathering his attention.
"I'll call you back." He announces before staring at me in confusion. "Can I help you?"
"What's your name?" I curiously ask.
He sighs at first, "Marc." He suspiciously answers.
Of course it is. All Marcs are assholes.

"Cool, Nice name. I need a very small, completely harmless favour from you." I sit myself on the table.
"And that would be?" He questions.
I smirk innocently before letting myself shift into somewhat of a darkness. "Withdraw any claims that my client is guilty."
She scoffs amused, "Go and spend the rest of your break usefully."
I analyse him slightly, his build. He wears a gold watch on his right hand and has a tan line over his finger where a ring should be. Recently divorced?

"You will go back into the room and announce that you are convinced Mr Cortez is innocent." I warn him.
"I could get you fired right now." He smirks.
"I don't happen to care for my job." I smirk back.
"And you don't either, do you?" I question him.
"I know your type, that watch on your arm is nothing regular. What would the police say if they got hold of the files on them?" I suggest.
I can tell a fake accessory when I see one.

He looks slightly stunned by my words, "And if that's not enough." I begin pulling the gun from my waist and placing it on my lap, he sighs at the sight. Standing up, I walk closer to him. "I've always enjoyed guns, you?"
"Not really." He gulps.
"It's something about the power or perhaps it's the pain." I pierce it into his stomach.
"It's not a pleasant feeling, getting shot I mean." I begin and he agrees.
"I wouldn't wish it on anyone: mother's, wife's...ex wife's." That was enough to scare him.

"Ok. Ok." He gives in...at least I hope that's what his words meant.
That man infuriated me in court mainly because he used everything he had against Damien with no care for humanity so it was only right that I do the same.

...

I slam the door to the restroom shut releasing the breathe that suffocated my lungs, closing my eyes and letting the reality of what I did hit me.
Of course I wasn't proud of it, I just threatened a woman's life, I didn't care about that damn prosecutor but I didn't think I'd stoop to the level of innocents.
None of us are innocent. His voice replays in my head.
I know but it doesn't make the feeling any better.

I reconcile myself, I don't have time for sympathy though the gun at my fingertips suggests that there is none left in me.
It's odd how it fit so perfectly in my palms almost as if it's meant to be there. Maybe this is what I'm destined for and anything else is nothing but star crossed.

Exiting the restroom, I catch eyes with the boys  and as I walk towards them my phone rings. It was Malachi probably just checking on how the trial is going though I can brief him afterwards, if I make it through.
"Damien." I call him to talk privately and he approaches me immediately.
I cautiously hand him the gun.
"What did you do?" He asks me.
"Sort out your mess." I sarcastically tell him.
"Which means?" He raises an eyebrow at him taking the gun and hiding it in his waist.
"It means nothing. Let's go." I change the subject walking back towards the court room.

We were the first ones in though soon after it started to fill again. As soon as the prosecutor walks in, he catches eyes with me and Damien noticed this- the threat between our eyes.
"Tell me what you did Tallia." He demands.
I sigh tired of his questions, "Just get through this day, it's exhausting enough already."
"Rise." The judge demands and we stand, him shortly after me.
"Before I consult the jury, is there anything the defence or prosecution would like to add?"