Chapter 55: My brother

APOLOGIES!

———————————————————————-

Damien's POV:

Leave it up to Marcello to buy an apartment on the rough side of town. He would say that it is to fuel the gangster within him and seemingly he is right. I lean against the hood of my car, eyes drawing up the building. Really, I was just procrastinating entering it.
I seem to always know what to say yet now I'm speechless and incapable. I don't particularly like feeling like that and it appears that Marcello is the only one that can make me speechless and incapable.
Stop being a bitch Damien just go inside.

Walking in, I stop at the elevator entrance pressing the button and waiting for it to open for me. The amount of time that it took was almost enough to drive me out but i knew that if I did leave, Tallia would kick me out of my own house.
Funny that, since I pay the bills for it huh?

I chuckled beneath my breath when the elevator wouldn't stop going up. Marcello always loved tall buildings, even as a child. Heights were never his kryptonite. He'd choose the tallest tree and climb it or pick the tallest building and explore the highest floor. He never specified what exactly he gained from such a pleasure but I've always been intrigued so I guess I wasn't surprised to find him on the top floor.

At his doorstep I was when I heard music coming from the apartment. Tupac. I mean, at least I don't have to hear him blasting it at 5am when he's working out anymore.
I ring the door bell and hoped that by some miracle he could hear through the noise.
And even if he heard it, he'd do the routine safety check that Mafia men do when the doorbell is rung.
Gun on your waist, pocket knife on your wrist, check peephole etc.
But it opened quicker and that scared me.
It meant that he didn't take precautions.

His face didn't drop when he saw me but something on mine definitely did. Guilt, morality or probably both.
"Did you want anything?" He asks as though there was never a feud between us.
"A conversation." I reply.
He opens his mouth as though he is about to say something so vile that it could even hurt me if I let it but he closes it again, only momentarily.
"Don't talk to much." He let's go of the door, walking into his apartment and I follow.

"I'm not here to apologise." I explain.
"Well you got some fucking nerve." He turns around to me, anger evident.
"You're my brother Mar. Big deal. You've always been my brother regardless if we're blood or not."
"That's not the point Damien. You fucking know it." He exhales a breath so deep, I see the air being sucked out of his face.
"The point is I did it to protect you. We both know that."
"You did it for yourself Damien, you and your own selfish gain." He laughs.

"There are two things in this world I won't be selfish towards. My Mafia and my family." I warn him.
"Well I'm not your family." He mutters.
"You are my FUCKING family Marcello!" I slam my hand against the counter.
He laughs, stepping close to me head to head, "After everything you still have the audacity to come to my house thinking you run shit."
"I'm your fucking boss so yes, I do run shit but I'm here as your brother and I'll take everything that you need me to hear."

"Trust me Damien, you don't want to hear the words that I need to say to you." He shakes his head.
"Say them. Who's stopping you Marcello? Stop being a bitch and fucking say them." I provoke him and though I knew it sounded mean, I knew that he cared too much about me to hurt me but I also knew that he needed to say the words so I'd help him say them.
Though his next move was definitely unexpected. I notice his arm swing around in a hook and crash into my left cheek, harsh and full of anger. I deserved it.

There is a pause between us, so silent and tense. He opens his fist to reveal his hand, shaking no more than the rest of his body though. He looks up to my face in shock then back down to his knuckles. I know he regrets that.