XLI: The Fire

Another night.

Another night of Fighter, Off, Gun, and Perth going out and "keeping an eye" on Saint, while I'm here pretending that I'm okay with it.

Perth's taunting rants about Saint don't help either.

Saint...

Oh how I miss that name. Whether it's his soft voice, his amazing laugh, or just his aura in general. Thinking about him always brought a smile to my face and I don't think that'll ever disperse anytime soon.

But knowing that he's in distress because of me is the worst part. I would never admit this aloud but I'm happy he has a support system alongside him. He deserves it. He deserves everything.

My thoughts were interrupted when Coraline walked in and sat on the bed.

"Zee?"

"Yeah?"

"How are you feeling?"

"How am I feeling? Well, let's see. I'm faking my own death from my friends and boyfriend, I found out I have a twin and another brother, I met my mother, and I'm forced to stay here while people who I've never met before get to be with my boyfriend. So I'm just swell!"

"I know this is a lot to take in but I'm trying to keep you safe."

"Safe from who? You weren't afraid to leave me with that psycho that is my father so you shouldn't be afraid to leave me now."

"Zee.."

"What? Are you gonna give me that cliched "I-wanted-to-take-you-with-me-but-I-couldn't arc? Cuz I don't believe that bullshit for one second. You made your choice. You left. I get that but not only that. You left me there, with him knowing how he is, what he does. And you took my twin who I didn't know existed with you."

"Zee, I'm gonna tell you something and I'm gonna need you to not say anything and just listen, okay?"

"Okay."

"This was 25 years ago..."

Flashback

Coraline and Willie...

They used to be madly in love. The perfect couple that people aspired to be like. But like most marriages, something went wrong.

Whether it was Willie taking over his father's trafficking business or them drifting apart.

Willie was always close with his father, one might even argue he was closer to him than he was to his wife. He always looked up to his father, he saw him as a role model. Willie had always been oblivious to his father's hatred toward Coraline. He would always fail to notice the dirty looks and the mood change whenever they'd be in the same room together.

So when his father voiced to him about his hatred for Coraline it surprised him. When his father talked about Coraline to him he seemed to really like her but now, he voiced such anger, such disgust, and such malice toward her, it made him question if the man in front of him was actually the father he knew.

"You have to get rid her"

Now this... this shocked the hell out of willie because his father never told him to do things. He would always inspire him to follow suit. And he always did.

"No"

Until now.

"No?"

"Yes. no. I am not divorcing Cora, I love her too much to ever let her go. And we also have Fighter and Zee to take care of and I don't want them being raised in a broken house.