Freedom

At the end of the novel, Lilianne still hasn't accepted Gracey. In the end, she poisons Gracey and almost kills her. Out of sheer anger, the prince executes Lilianne by stabbing her through the heart.

When Melanie recalled it, she was bothered how gruesome it was for a 15 year old to write. 

"...you're lying aren't you?" Lilianne said.

"Why would I be?" Melanie said.

"Because everyone says they want to be my friend, but in the end they don't really like me." Lilianne's voice started to shake.

Melanie chuckled, "It's fine if you don't believe me." She said as she stands up, "I'll be your friend even if no one thinks so." Melanie offered her hand.

"So? Let's be friends!" She smiled.

Lilianne's eyes wavered, she wasn't sure if she could trust Melanie. But the look in her eyes, it was different from other people's. 

"I-if you say so. I don't really care." Lilianne looked away before taking Melanie's hand.

'You just said you were- nevermind. I'm glad this is how it turned out.' Melanie thought.

"You can call me Melanie, I look forward to hanging out with you in the future!" She giggles.

"T-then, Melanie... you can call me Lilianne... for all I care!" she replies, flushed.

And that's how Melanie and Lilianne became close friends.

...

It's been 3 weeks since Lilianne and Melanie started to exchange letters. Alot of things have changed because of what Melanie did.

Lilianne decided to study more, to help her brother with politics... and she decided to only become friends with Melanie, which Melanie did not recommend since she's going to die soon.

As for Melanie, her health has become worse. The medicine she needs to intake has risen, and all of them are pain relievers. 

Dr. Zyn doesn't recommend it, but Melanie hasn't gotten close to getting used to the pain during her episodes.

"My lady why are we here?" Chloe asked while Melanie and her strolled around town in their commoner clothes.

"I'm looking for a gift to give Lilianne." Melanie says. 

"But why?" 

"No reason, today Lilianne is meeting with her family. It might be sad for her to meet them... so maybe a gift will cheer her up." Melanie smiled.

"How thoughtful of you, my lady." Chloe responded.

They pass by a hoard of people gathered in one place. 

"What's happening?" Melanie said as they approached the crowd.

"It seems like there's a performance." Chloe replied.

But before they could leave, a swarm of people come in separating the two of them. 

"My lady!" Chloe said as she gets pushed towards the street vendors.

"Chloe!" Melanie said as she gets pushed towards a suspicious alley. 

There were men guarding a door, while people wearing masks show a something that grants them the permission to enter. 

Out of curiosity, she grabs a half face mask that was being sold at a nearby street vendor. There were men who were about to enter the place, it seemed like they were together.