Research

Meanwhile, Zyn was out with Chloe to gather some ingredients for the Gelidus research.

The Emperor had fully approved of this research, and wished for it's success.

That evening

"You want to what..?" The emperor asked.

"I want to help Melanie, she is my friend." Jin said with his eyes unwavering.

The emperor was surprised, Jin never requested for anything. He knew he has a tough life with his family constantly pulling him down. "Am I the only one who hasn't met this Melanie girl? That makes you all want to help her?" he said.

"She's my daughter your majesty. I can't lose another one from Gelidus." The Marquess clenched his fists. 

"..Again..? You don't mean...?" The Emperor's eyes widen.

"Yes, my wife suffered from the same illness. It was only a matter of time that my daughter would inherit it. It turns out Melanie knew before anyone... just like her mother. They did not want to worry anyone." The marquess looked down with tears on his eyes.

"Stand up, let's talk somewhere else." The emperor said, walking out of the balcony.

...

At the Imperial study, only the royal family is allowed here. It was like a huge library, with shelves high enough to reach the roof, there were confidential things there, such as maps, and ancient artifacts. 

"Is it alright for us to be here your majesty?" Zyn said. 

"Yes, now explain to me further, what exactly is Gelidus? And how is it deadly?" The emperor asked.

Zyn took a deep breath, he hesitated since it was quite the sensitive topic especially to Marquess Alais. 

"It's a deadly disease that prevents the patient from using mana nor getting close to it. The effects are freezing feelings, constant puking of blood and nose bleeds. The patient will get weaker, and...will soon die." Zyn explained.

The room became quiet, the emperor pondered. 

"Why didn't you tell me your wife was suffering from this? We could have held a research long ago." He said.

Marquess Alais sighed, "I couldn't. She told me to leave her be. She said, she had already accepted her fate, and was worried unknown medicine would affect...the child in her stomach." He paused.

"I tried... I tried to save her... but she was so stubborn..." The Marquess clenched his fists, trying to hold back his tears.

"They are similar." Zyn said, "Lady Melanie...said it was her fate." 

Everyone's expressions were down. They felt guilty.

"I'll approve of it." The emperor said, as everyone's gaze immediately go to him.

"Your...majesty..." The Marquess quietly said.

"You may use any of the imperial's belongings for this research. I'll also cover the funds." He smiled.

"Your highness, you don't have to do that-" Zyn said.

"You know... My son Peter, came home from a day with Lady Melanie. I was informed he was enjoying himself more than usual. I was doubtful, but ever since he spent time with her, he changed. He was able to confidently initiate a trade from an enemy country. 

Not only him, but my daughter as well. Lilianne has become more cheerful. She finally saw herself for who she is and stayed away from nobles who only brought her down. And it was all thanks to your daughter, Daniel." The emperor said, with eyes full of sincerety.

"Thank you, your majesty." The marquess bowed.

Present

"How is Lady Melanie doing?" Zyn asked as he held a paper bag.

"She's still weak, I suppose she's still resting from yesterday's incident." Chloe said.

They walked side by side together in the crowded town.

"We're officially working on the research to save her, why are you looking so down?" Zyn asked.

"I'm truly grateful that this is happening, but what about My Lady? She tends to feel terrible if people go through such lengths to help her. I'm worried she'll start keeping things to herself in order to lessen the burden." Chloe sighed.

"I see, she is like that. But all we can do is help her as much as we can." Zyn replied.

"Agreed." Chloe said, with a pained expression making Zyn feel bad.

"OUT OF THE WAY!" a man said from afar, a carriage was passing by quickly. People were being pushed aside.

!!!

"Ah!" Chloe was about to get hit by the carriage.

...?

Zyn caught her, as the carriage goes passed them. His arm supported their back, it was as if they were embracing.

Their faces were flushed, and they immediately seperate.

"Pardon me..." Zyn's gaze was somewhere else.

"Thank you..." Chloe said.