TWENTY

LOVE GAMES

I thought about the woman who’ve become the most important part of my life recently. If you ask me, a few months ago, I would have never believed someone like her would take interest in me. I was okay with my life alone before I met her. I didn’t really ask for much. I attended school, listened to Mrs. Chang’s class feeling like it’ll be the death of me, play games whenever I get the chance to and hang out with Criza from time to time.

My life wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t good either.  I just didn’t ask a lot or took time into meeting people. But that day came. The day where I unexpectedly met the most beautiful girl I’ve  ever laid eyes on. She astounded me and just like that, I forgot that I was okay about being alone.

She invaded my thoughts like a parasite that wouldn’t get out of my head. She came into my life unexpectedly and I don’t think I could ever go back to my boring old life. Not after I got a taste of what it’s like to be with someone like Belle Mariano. The girl of my dreams.

The dinner at my parents went well. I kind of expected that they would love Belle and I was right. My dad, like his awkward, strict and nosy self warmed up to Belle rather quick. Like me, now, he expects a lot from Belle too but unlike me, Belle didn’t find that intimidating at all. Belle told my dad  that she’d help me out in my studies and that she’s actually been helping me already before the school vacation started.

Of course, we left that part about me failing that one time at Mr. Lee’s class. My Dad wouldn’t take that news well and Mr. Lee would probably get in trouble. My dad’s quite an authoritarian but nevertheless, he’s not all that bad. I knew he only meant well. I’m an only child after all. It’s just that, If I had a choice, I would have chosen a different path career wise. But I guess in this life, you can’t have everything that you want.

You’ve got to learn to accept that there are things in the world that you want but you might not get. It’s not bad to hope, to dream and to wish. But at the end of the day, It’s the reality of life that’ll come after you. What happens to me if I go against my parents wishes? I seriously don’t have the energy and the effort to go through that and be like a badass spoiled motherfucker that wants what he wants. It’s all about compromise.

And that’s what I exactly did. I might’ve not pursued my dream to become a world class game designer, I still get to play in my leisure time. If you think that’s childish then so be it. But growing up with your parents being away most of the time, what I only had were those games to keep me company. To keep me occupied and it made me a little less lonelier than I was.

It became my escape, an escape to my reality, and it got me through the creeping loneliness attached to my life. I lived, I managed and I’m still going to take over our company one day. It’s kind of funny though, The woman that I’m with now sort of also came from my virtual reality and then she also came into my legitimate reality and I thought, maybe I really can have both and I will be okay. I’m happier now and there are no regrets.

At first, I was sort of afraid to introduce Belle to my parents. Not because they’re conniving assholes, no, not really. It was more of me being afraid of her reaction. How she’d take that this is my life outside school and outside the games that we play. She took it surprisingly well. I knew she got a little intimidated when I introduced Lee, our butler to her when we came to the house.

Lee being Lee, followed us wherever we went in case we needed anything and I felt she got a little uncomfortable about it. I wasn’t blind, I knew she didn’t like it. It was already enough for me that she was willing to go through the entire dinner to meet my parents but I’ve never heard her say anything bad about it apart from us, fooling around and joking about the people we’ve killed (in- game) .