- 𝟏𝟐

⃗

..⃗.  [ 𝙼𝙸𝚂𝚂𝙸𝙽𝙶 𝙲𝙾𝙰𝙲𝙷 ] 𑁍ࠜೄ ・゚ˊˎ
﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋

THE GROUP OF TEENS CHATTERED TO EACH OTHER, filling the small area with noise before the game began.

"Hey, team! Hey team! We're gonna be great today, right?" Mr Tibbles leant over the rail that held the crowd back. "Where's Gordon?" He looks around. "You tell us" Luis shrugged.

Darcy shook her head and mumbled, "probably with the Iceland lady." Mr Tibbles looked kind of shocked. "I don't believe this." He sighed. The ref skated over checking his watch. "Team USA I'm sorry but without a coach behind the bench, you'll forfeit the game." He told them.

"What?" Darcy threw her arms up in defeat, sitting down on the bench wanting to scream her heart out. "But you can't do that." Adam protested, not wanting to forfeit. "We have one" Charlie looked at the coach, "Miss Mackay!" He yelled causing everyone to turn to the lady in a peach sweater.

The boy skated over to her. Everyone looked at him confused as Darcy just tried not to scream and kill coach Bombay when he finally appears. "Here she is, our coach. Coach Mackay" Charlie gave the group a smile.

"What are you waitin' for, ice to freeze? Let's play!" She yelled running down the the bench. Hearing this, Darcy grabbed her gear but stayed seated on the bench with Charlie. Goldberg made a save against Germany and everyone cheered.

"Oh we look tired. We need to, uh— trade places" she urged, not knowing what to say. "What?" Charlie asked as he wiped his forehead with a towel. "New players" she turned to the small group.

"Oh! Say 'change it up'" he gave her a nod.
"Change it up"
"Scream it" Darcy spoke up.
"Change it up!"

Everyone switched out. "Good luck" Charlie gave Darcy a wink before they both jumped over the small wall. "Come on Banksie, we got this right?" She turned to the boy next to her.

"Yeah we do, don't doubt yourself Henderson" he patted her shoulder and skated off.

A loud noise filled the arena, everyone in the huddle on the ice and everyone on the bench looking around for it. "Great" Darcy rolled her eyes, seeing coach Bombay in the crowd with the duck whistle. "Look who finally showed up" Fulton shook his head.

"Just ignore him. Averman, take the face-off" Jesse skated to his place, the rest doing the same. Coach didn't stop blowing the whistle. He ran down to the bench, pushing the door open.

"What do we got to loose?" Guy looked at Averman and Fulton. "Respect" Darcy raised an eyebrows as she skated slowly past them. "He'll dump us the minute it's all over" Fulton added. "Come on in!" Coach waved them over, "let's go come on!"

The group on the ice skated over hesitantly, Darcy not moving from her spot at first. Bombay kissed Miss Mackay's cheek before thanking her. "Henderson you too, please" coach looked at her sympathetically. The team turned to her as she stood not moving for a minute, debating if she should. In the end, she gave in and skated over, standing next to Charlie.

"Team," he sat down on the bench. "Guys. I was wrong, and I'm sorry. I forgot about the team. And the team . . . is all I have. All I want is another chance, just one more shot. I'm back, okay? Believe me." He apologised, full heartedly. Darcy knew she should forgive him.

"Henderson will you forgive me? I know you counted on me and I failed you—" he turned to the small, dark haired girl as she cut him off. "I forgive you coach" she said with a small smile.

The game started up again, Jesse shoving the Germany player out of his way as he passed the puck. "Come on, Jesse!" Charlie looked at the boy. "Jesse, just do it man!" Goldberg turned to him.

"Alright, let's go! Flying V!" He yelled. It worked. They scored a goal and Darcy got to see the 'Flying V' for the first time. "Holy shit that was awesome" Darcy looked at Goldberg with a wide smile.

They all huddled together in a group hug. "We did it!!" Darcy skated around the group to Charlie as she pulled him into a tight hug. "We did" he smiled spinning around a little bit letting her go.

****

"Ive if a lot of big distractions since I've been here in LA." Coach Bombay stood in front of the team, Jans and Miss Mackay with a metal barrel and a cardboard cut-out of himself. "This is a distraction" he held up the cut-out.

Everyone laughed softly, "nice haircut, coach." "Looks familiar, I know that guy." He folded it up and put it in the barrel before lighting a match and throwing it in, setting the piece of cardboard on fire.

"This is a fire in a barrel. And this is a distraction in a fire in a barrel. Any questions?" He turned to the teens. They all began clapping, Darcy included. "Good job coach" "all right!" "Wooo!" Darcy yelled as everyone clapped and cheered for him.

"Charlie can I talk to you?" Coach asked as the group scattered around a little. Darcy turned to the two of them as he walked from her to their coach. "Darcy" Miss Mackay sat on the picnic table. The two split up, going to their different teachers.

"What's going on with you and Charlie?" Miss Mackay gave the girl a cheeky smile. "Wha— Nothing" she giggled, hiding her blush. "Oh stop lying to yourself Darcy, you like him and I can see it, we all can" she said sweetly.

"You and Henderson huh?" Charlie had his back to the group as coach talked to him. "Huh, what do ya mean?" He asked trying to stop a smile forming on his face. "I see the way you two are Charlie. It's obvious to everyone, you like each other" he smiled.
Charlie turned to the group, looking at Darcy and Julie now laughing together.

"Oh coach, you don't understand" Charlie gave in, telling him almost everything while uncontrollably smiling. One Charlie got to go back to his friends and talk, coach went to Jans and Miss Mackay and told them.

THE MIGHTY DUCKS, C.CONWAY
JUNE 12TH 2021