- 𝟐𝟔

⃗

..⃗.  [ 𝙷𝙰𝙿𝙿𝚈 𝙰𝚂 𝙻𝙰𝚁𝚁𝚈 ] 𑁍ࠜೄ ・゚ˊˎ
﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋

"HEY, NICE MOVE!" Goldberg yelled as the team played schoolyard puck like Russ taught them in LA. Everyone laughed together as Violet sat on the bench watching them. "Hey on your left!" Luis yelled.

"That doesn't count that was below the belt!" Goldberg scolded one of them. Darcy let out a squeal and laugh as she fell over onto her back. Ty team erupted with laughs and a lot of 'are you okay?' s.

Violet helped her up before she managed to score. "Hey, it's coach Bombay!" Dwayne yelled. "Damn Conway, what took you so long?" Russ yelled sarcastically. "Come on! Get in the game! Come on coach!" Everyone yelled. Darcy turned around when everyone began shouting and made it to the front of the group.

She had told everyone what happened between her, Charlie and Fulton and they all felt bad for her. In her mind he had broken up with her, Charlie didn't mean whatever he said though. She looked at him and coach who was beside him. The two of them just staring at each other for a minute.

"Come on Charlie, she's your girl. Go apologise for what you said." Coach patted his shoulder as they walked in. The group continued to play as Charlie and Darcy walked off to a separate bench.

"That was really hurtful what you said the other day." She looked at the floor as she placed her hockey stick next to her. "I know baby, and I'm sorry... I really am." He sighed. "Don't do that" she looked at him. "Huh?" He tilted his head.

"Baby me. Makes me all mushy." She turned her head to him. "Well what if I wanna make you mushy?" He smiled causing her to smile too. "Don't make me mushy." Everyone around them continued to play, glancing at the love birds every once in a while.

"Do you still like me?" She asked, always needing reassurance. "Yes Darcy, I do still like you." He smiled, taking her smaller hand in his. "Do you love me?" She teased, getting him back for when he asked if he loved her. "Maybe." He looked at her, not giving her a yes or no.

"I need a yes or no." She pouted, sticking her bottom lip out. "Darcy Henderson, I will tell you when we win our next game, deal?" He offered, wanting to keep her on her toes. "Fine" she sat back against the bench as he played with her fingers.

"They're all expecting something aren't they?" She asked as she watched everyone. "Yup" Charlie chuckled softly at her comment. "Then kiss me." She turned to him. "What?" He snaps out of a short daydream.

"Kiss me you idiot." She giggled, knowing everyone would die in that moment. He obviously liked her idea by how big his smile was. Charlie leant in, his hand on her cheek as he pressed his lips onto hers. She kissed him back as the sound of everyone cheering filled the air.

"Man, Conway you can sure change someone." Averman laughed, mentioning the fact that Darcy was upset about it but now she was happy. After the little moment, they got back to the game and even Fulton and Violet shared a small peck on the lips everyone once in a while.

They had the time of their lives playing with coach Bombay and the whole team again, like it brought back so much happiness they didn't know they had put away for safe keeping.

Halfway through the third period of their game, Darcy managed to steal the flannel from around Charlie's waist and she wore it proudly, planning not to give it back. At the end of the game everyone picked coach up and put him in the trash can. It was a funny moment.

"Try this on for side, Goldie" Charlie picked up the trash can and put it on Goldberg's head as everyone began hitting the top of it. Darcy was finally back with her best friends and her lover boy.

"Hey baby" she teased, making her New York accent more harsh than it usually was. Charlie span around to see the dark haired girl wearing his flannel that he didn't know was gone. "How did you—?" He looked down to see his was missing and laughed softly.

"I stole it, and I'm not returning it." She smiled proudly, pulling tight around her. "That's one hundred percent okay with me."

****

"Mendoza. Reed. Henderson— Conway?" Coach Orion looked up from his register. Darcy gave coach a soft smile as she took a seat near the back of the bus. "I want to be on the team, Coach." Charlie told him as he had rehearsed with Darcy when he got nervous.

She motioned her hand for him to keep going, "I want to play two way hockey."

"Can I come back?" He looked up at the man in a red jacket with a smile on his face. "Take a seat with Henderson, we're running late. Let's go we've got a game to catch." He patted the drivers shoulder. Coach Bombay had told Coach Orion about their little dating scenario and asked if he could put them together as much as they wanted.

"It's about time, Conway." Russ chuckled. He walked down the isle high-fiving the team as he sat next to Russ. Darcy sat on the other side of him, on the other side of the isle but with Julie next to her.

"Oh man, you should've seen your face. 'Oh coach, I want to play two-way hockey. Can I come back?'" Russ mocks him, pouting and making a begging hand gesture. Charlie playfully punches his arm sending the two of them into a small playful fight.

Darcy chuckled, sharing one of her headphone pieces with Julie as she plugged it into her Walkman. "I almost missed you." Dean Buckley jumped up the steps.

"Coach, you mind if I have a few words with your boys?" He asks. "And girls." All three of them spoke up at the same time. "Yes, of course. And girls." He points at them. "If you can make it quick Dean. We're running late as it is." Coach Orion took a seat.

"I'm afraid this is important." He stands in the last step, "we have a board meeting scheduled tomorrow and . . . and well you all are on the agenda. We have to think long-term here. What's in your best interest. Hard as it is for me personally, because you kids have been a breath of fresh air around here. The board is going to approve the withdrawal of your scholarships. Now you'll be welcome to stay through the end of the semester but after that it will be necessary for you to enjoy other educational opportunities."

Their moods sink at his words, each one of them shaking their head or rolling their eyes. "Dean, I need a word with you." Coach spoke up. "I think I've said all I need to say." He smiles. "No, now." Orion stands up, towering over Dean Buckley and walking out of the bus with him.

"Other educational opportunities, what's he saying Russ?" Dwayne leans over the seats. "I'll put it in terms you can understand. Adios amigo."

"I guess I've gotta say goodbye at the end of this year then . .  ." Darcy looked down at her feet. "Me too" a few of the other most recent added team members reply. They all stand up and begin to pile off the bus.

"If I go back to New York, you'll try and visit right?" Darcy looks around at her teammates, almost all of them saying yes immediately.

THE MIGHTY DUCKS , C.CONWAY
JUNE 21ST 2021