- 𝟐𝟖

⃗

..⃗. [ 𝙺𝙸𝙻𝙻𝙴𝚁 𝚀𝚄𝙴𝙴𝙽 ] 𑁍ࠜೄ ・゚ˊˎ
﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋

EVERYONE TOOK A KNEE in front of coach Orion as practice went on. "Alright I've been doing my homework's in the varsity. I'm not gonna lie to ya, they're good." He looks around at the teens.

Darcy knelt between Luis and Russ, looking up at their coach. Adam was back on the team too, he looked so much happier than he did on varsity. "The way they wiped your faces in the dirt last time was no fluke. So if you want your pride back, you better be willing to work."

He made everyone train extra hard, getting better to beat Varsity. "There's nothing glamorous about it. In the pros, we call it blue-collar hockey. Now there's one thing varsity does very well. They're vultures around the net. They pick up every piece of loose trash, that's how they beat you." He pulled an empty can of what looked like dog food from the trash can.

A few of them made faces at what he was doing but ran along with it. "Not with the first shot; the second and the third. So if you wanna win, you're gonna have to pick up the trash." Orion explained as he picked the trash can up and tipped it all onto the ice.

"Whew man." Russ covered his nose. "Eugh, that stinks." Darcy shut her eyes tight, turning her head away. Averman picked up a bagel bun and held it up with his bare hands, "have any cream cheese?"

They got up and began using the pieces of trash as pucks, coach Orion joining in too every one in a while. "Julie the cat nice save here we go!" He yelled. "Come on! Come on!" "Let's go!"

Coach Orion took them out onto the streets, skating on rollerblades in a line picking up trash. "Come on! Throw that garbage in there!" He yelled holding out a trash can. They had a lot of fun now they got to know coach, he had taken them back inside and carried on with the ice. "All right, this place looks pretty clean!" Julie said as they continued to hit the trash into the cans.

"Let's go, get over here! Grab a knee!" Coach blew his whistle. They huddled around his and knelt down on one knee. "You guys are not skating like Warriors!" Everyone shook their heads or rolled their eyes at how he went from fun to annoying again.

"Jesus." Darcy scoffed as she looked at Charlie. He shrugged his shoulders in reply to her. "You look like somethin' else." He pulled one of his gloves off as he confused everyone by beginning to open a cardboard box ontop of the trash can. Charlie's head rose to try and see what was in the box as coach Orion opened it.

"You look like ducks."

He pulled out a jersey, a smile growing on everyone's face. "Robertson!" He threw it to Dwayne. They all hit their sticks against the ice and got up to get a jersey. Darcy skated to Charlie, "I can't find mine" she looked up at him. His eyebrows became furrowed as he put his arm around her shoulders and skated over to the box.

"Hey coach, Darcy can't find her jersey." He asked the man in the red jacket. He turned around looking at the two, "you can't?" Darcy shook her head in reply as he checked the box to see it was empty. They were obviously playing a game, by the smile they were trying to hide.

"What?" She asked confused. "Here it is" coach held it up from behind the box. Someone must have knocked it out when they were looking for theirs, but surely they would've thrown it to her. A huge smile grew on her face when she went to look at the back and saw on the sleeve in small writing 'little duck'.

She turned to Charlie to show him, "it's because your the youngest and coach Bombay used to call you little duck whenever he spoke about you, he got it from—" Darcy finished his sentence, "my parents."

The two joined the circle and began chanting 'quack' with the rest of the team as they lifted their sticks into the air.

****

"Fasten your seatbelts and hold onto your hats everyone. Ohhhh, do we have a special showdown for you. David versus Goliath in a titanic grudge match. The winner can truly say that he is the symbol of Eden Hall." Josh spoke over the intercom.

Everyone in the stands took their seats as the ducks got ready to play against the Varsity team. Charlie lifted his helmet up and looked around at the group, "this is for Hans." The team made their way onto the ice as Darcy was following behind them. "For Hans" she placed a small kiss on Charlie's cheek as she skated onto the ice.

They began skating in a circle, running their fingers across the ice as they skated round as a symbol of respect for Hans. Coach Orion huddled them together for a pep talk. "All right, let's go hunting for goose eggs, huh? Come on, hands in. On three ..." he placed his hand in the middle.

"Quack" he smirked, the whole team looking at each other with huge smile. "One, two, three."

"Quack, quack, quack, quack, quack."

They chanted over and over again, the crowd soon joining in with them. Darcy's skin became covered with goosebumps as she heard her parents and family along with the rest of the crowd cheering along. "Goooooo, Ducks!" They yelled.

They skated out onto the ice, a few sitting on the bench. "Come on, I gave you a lucky kiss we can win this." She skated past Charlie slowly. "Give me another one." He smirked.

The dark haired girl shook her head and placed a soft kiss on his lips before skating to her spot. Julie took her place in goal and Adam took the face-off. "You're gonna wish like hell you stuck with us." Ricky bent down in front of Adam. "Save the trash talk." He fired back to him, eyeing him as they got to the same level.

The puck dropped and Ricky shoved Adam down. They took the lead as Ricky began skating towards Julie, knocking a few ducks down on the way but she made the save.

One of the Varsity players hit the puck and Goldberg managed to make a toe save. Fulton was sent on as Charlie got face-to-face with Ricky. "Why'd you come back?" He asked. "Unfinished business" Charlie answered him. "We'll finish it for ya."

Charlie pushed him down as Darcy skated off with the puck and dodged a varsity player who skated right into the boards.

About four players from the other team cornered Fulton against the boards, making him give them a confused look before shoving them off.

Darcy stood next to Julie, "keep going, ya doing good Gaffney." She smiled, lifting her helmet. "Way to hang tough." Charlie skated over too, lifting his helmet. Guy followed after them, "these guys keep charging. What are we gonna do here?"

"We gotta stand up to 'em." Charlie stood up straight. "Play a little defence, Ducks." She smiled as she patted Julie's shoulder. "All right? Let's go!" The three of them skated off leaving Julie in goal.

THE MIGHTY DUCKS , C.CONWAY
JUNE 26TH 2021