scotch

Her heart dropped to her stomach as she pushed through the mass of dancers to hide back at the booth. Sam, Bucky and Reed were all still chatting, smiling and laughing. Practically running towards the table, she kept her head low trying to blend in with the rest of the crowd. She dove into the booth beside Reed trying to hide as much as possible, not even bothered about Bucky's watchful eyes as she was to busy escaping from someone else's.

"What the fuck are you doing?" Reed asked laughing, lifting up his hands and shuffling away from her. She was scanning the room at a rapid pace not even listening to the questions firing from the men behind her.

"It's a fucking code red." She whisper screamed at Reed who was poking her in annoyance at this point.

"What does that even mean." He laughed.

"Logan."

The tall muscular man was strolling over, leather jacket in one hand, beer bottle in the other. A smirk played on his lips as his eyes never left Harley, examining every inch of her leather clad body.

"Hey Harley." His gruff voice rang out and Harley could hear the blood rushing to her head. She swallowed thickly before turning to face him. She tried to smile at him looking up at his face. His brows were furrowed as usual but that smirk was splattered across his face. She didn't know whether to run and hide or beat the shit out of him. So she did neither and played nice.

"Hi Logan." Her voice was much softer than her intention. She rose to match his height not wanting him looming over her any longer. He planted a rough kiss on her cheek, his beard prickling her.

"How've you been." He grumbled before turning to face the rest of the guys seated behind them. "Logan Howlett." He stated to them nodding curtly, returning his gaze back to Harley. Thankfully, Reed stood up at that moment but, gripped Logan's hand and pulled him into a brisk hug.

"Hey man, glad you could make it." Reed exclaimed. Harleys blood ran cold. That son of a bitch. Her jaw clenched and her breathing faulted as she felt the rage rising inside her. She tried to swallow it down. They're all adults. They can be civil.

Turning back to face the table she saw Logan seated beside Reed, laughing and joking. Sam looked at her pleadingly gesturing for her to slide in beside him, but she just couldn't. She turned around and headed towards the door, grabbing her jacket from the man at the entrance. She burst into the cold New York air letting out shaky breaths. There was a sudden flash of cameras, all clicking to get shots of her. Two dozen people all shouting her name, trying to coax her to them. Frozen, like a deer in the headlights. Or camera lights.

The door behind her flung open and a large hand rested on her shoulder. Black fabric flew in front of her face blocking the glaring of the cameras. The hand guided her away from the crowd, shouting unintelligible words at them in a strong Brooklyn accent. Her shaking body was lead towards the private parking lot around the corner where they lost the rest of the psychos with cameras. She looked up to her rescuer and was greeted by an scowl belonging to one James Barnes.

"What the hell was that?" He grumbled pulling out a cigarette and placing it between his teeth.

"I had to get out of there." Harley responded, pacing up and down. He took a drag of his cigarette before offering it to her which she gladly accepted, taking a long drag and exhaling it through her nose. "Thanks."

"Welcome." He mumbled, inhaling another lung full of smoke. There was a long pause of uncomfortable silence. "Who was he?" He asked finally staring down at her.

"He was my uh ex." She stated staring down at her toes. "Not a very nice one." She tried a laugh but it came out as more of sob. Tears were stinging at her eyes but she refused to cry in the presence of a stranger. She took a deep breath swallowing the lump in her throat before looking back up at him.