Chapter 3: Following

It was now the beginning of the afternoon. The streets have just started to get busy within the noon hour. Despite the large crowd, the grey-skinned girl was still running down the street, carrying the large clamshell. She briefly turned around to see the police detectives chasing her. But she eventually stopped when she saw a wide-open alleyway entrance.

At first, she ducks in there to hide, but knowing the police might search for her there, she needs a second escape plan. Fortunately for her, she finds a sewer hatchet in the crowd that leads into the city's sewer line. She prepares to open the hatchet so she could hide in the sewers. However, knowing that the police are catching up to her, and worrying she'll need a backup plan in case they suspect the hatchet, she decides to pull off a little trick. When she opens the hatchet, she moves over to a nearby door on the side of a building and pushes it open.

This makes it look like she escaped into the building instead of the hatchet. Once she gets the door open, she climbs into the sewer hole with the clam and covers it up once she's in. Eventually, the two police detectives would catch up to the alleyway and search for the girl there. They would begin to look down the alleyway to see if she went down it.

"You know, Emily, throughout all of the investigations I've been on, this one has definitely been a turn for the weird" the male detective said, referring to the female detective as Emily.

"Oh, really, Owen? Given all of the investigations, we checked out, what makes you think this one would turn for the weird?" Emily asked in a dissatisfied voice. She had referred to the male detective by his name Owen.

"Well, think about it

"Well, think about it. Most criminals we track down are usually big thugs, robbers, and scary terrifying murders with plausible motives." As Owen explained while he and Emily walked down the alleyway, Tex would be seen hiding behind the corner, still on the street, overlooking the two detectives' talk. "But this one is just a young teenage girl stealing from the Paleontology Museum of Hell Creek. What's even weirder is that she would steal a clam artifact. Don't you think that's a little weird?"

"Owen, the clam she stole was a high-priced Tridacna gigas, one of the largest clam species living today and close to extinction. The clam itself was just a shell, of course, but it was part of a trade made by the Oxford Clay Museum of Alto. Do you have any idea how rare it is for a high-class museum like that to make a trade with a city like this?" Emily explains. Tex overheard with great focus, especially about how she knew so much about the background of the stolen artifact.