Keonhee Part 10

Keonhee wandered alone, lost and directionless, across the bleak and barren plane. The sky glowed an iridescent funeral red, bathing the environment with a menacing bloody glow. The static corpses of withered trees dotted the landscape presenting twisted and imposing silhouettes. Tenuous strands of luminous blue/black mist circled and swirled around him, turning his skin cold and clammy to the touch. Keonhee began calling out to Selene, his beloved goddess. The command in his tone cracked with the weight of the emotion he was experiencing. His pleading was met with the empty silence of the surrounding harsh and indifferent landscape.

Keonhee had visited this world between waking and sleeping every night since the ceremony. To his misery, he had not yet been able to summon Selene. Since becoming human, the veil between the mortal and immortal world had firmly placed a barrier between them. It was beyond infuriating and he was almost sick with madness for his goddess. Keonhee called out to her again, unable to mask his desperation and pain. As he did this, the mist began to gather and billow around him, creating a think blanket of almost sensual smog. His heart pounded in his chest with both anticipation and the fear of potential disappointment. 

As the mist swirled around him, the familiar figure of a woman began to take shape. Her face remained almost featureless as the mist continued to dance and swirl around them both. In dreamlike wonder, Keonhee reached out towards her. His hands familiarised themselves with the long silken strands of the silver hair and sculpted curves of the moon goddess. With intense relief and gratitude, Keonhee kneeled down in front of her. A gesture of submission and adoration. He wrapped his arms tightly around her, like a drowning man clutching to driftwood.

He tenderly placed his face against her stomach, suppressing a sob that threatened to escape his soul. He felt the palm of her intensely cold hand placed on his head. 'Selene' he murmured as she began to stroke his hair. 

'Keonhee!' shouted a voice that did not belong to Selene. Opening his eyes, Keonhee groaned in agonised despair as he discovered himself back within the sanctum. He lay across the sacrificial table surrounded by the dim flickering of the candles he had been using in attempts to summon his lost love. Infuriated, Keonhee quickly sat up and gazed angrily around the chamber to locate the source of the sound that had so cruelly torn him away from his beloved goddess. His eyes quickly fell on Seoho who was standing in the doorway, his cheeks flushed with anxiety. 'We have a problem!' he stated breathlessly.