Surrender Part 31

Standing proudly at the threshold was Keonhee, surrounded by his army of the dammed. The servants stood carrying large flaming torches whilst they silently observed the proceedings with bleached empty expressions. Neoma assessed that there must be several hundred of the creatures. To Keonhee's left stood Xion, Neoma noticed how his golden hair had returned to its original dark brown. Neoma appraised Keonhee's arrogant gaze with undisguised contempt, her chin raised defiantly.

'Princess!' he called, 'You have a choice, surrender yourselves and your death will be swift' pausing briefly, he continued, 'Or deny us and we will take you by force and your deaths will be prolonged and agonising' he concluded. Neoma appeared to consider his proposition, raising her eyes she met the challenge of his stare 'Never' she responded simply. Keonhee returned her response with a large and enigmatic smile, 'So be it!' he declared, with chilling enthusiasm. A gentle gasp escaped Neoma's lips as Keonhee pulled his sword from its sheath with a swiftly elaborate flourish. 

Leedo stepped in front of her, providing a protective barrier. 'You will have to pass through me Keonhee' he growled. Keonhee raised a perfectly arched eyebrow, 'You are prepared to die for her?' he asked with mild amusement. Leedo responded with a firm nod. 'Then you are a fool' responded Keonhee. Leedo's chest rose and fell as his anger built 'Are you really prepared to murder your own brother too?' he shouted. Keonhee provided an exaggerated expression of concern, 'Alas Leedo,' he began, 'It would not be my first time.' 

Comprehension flooded over Leedos face as he noted the notable absence of the other monarchs. His eyes shone with the devastating realization that Keonhee was responsible for their disappearance. Shouting out in rage, Leedo ran towards Keonhee, knocking him to the ground. Neoma watched on in horror, as if in slow motion, Leedo and Keonhee began wrestling on the ground surrounded by servants gathering around them in a flurry of perplexed activity. Neoma's eyes met with Keonhee's as Leedo held him tightly by the throat, they exchanged a silently shared acknowledgement of mutual hatred. Simultaneously, the servants began to pile on top of the pair. 'Leedo!' Neoma screamed, as he disappeared within the throng of horror.

Amidst the chaos, Xion navigated through the confused turmoil and approached Neoma with calculated precision. He clutched the ceremonial dagger which Ravn had bequeathed him earlier, before he had disappeared around the palace with his flaming torch. Neoma's eyes widened in terror. Xion had released her from a nightmare by killing her before without conscience. Since that moment, she had existed within a new nightmare that he no doubt intended to free her from in the same deadly manner. 'Not again!' she screamed, swiftly spinning around. She threw herself back through the palace door and slammed the large blockade bar down to prevent Xion from entering. She was immediately greeted by a blanket of suffocating smog.