Palace Part 30

Neoma opened her eyes, something felt different but she couldn't place exactly what it was. Frowning in puzzlement, she gazed towards Leedo who was still sleeping soundly next to her. Even in the soft glow of the candle light she could see the change in him. His hair was no longer green, but dark brown as it had always been. Neoma sat up quickly, her hair falling around her shoulders was no longer pink, but the familiar golden brown that it had been she had been brought back. Neoma's heart began to pound uncomfortably in her chest. Something was clearly very wrong.

She shook Leedo awake with urgent persistence. He slowly opened his eyes and smiled at her. His smile quickly disappeared as he noted her distress and her change of appearance. 'Neoma..' he began before she cut him off. 'Leedo, my thirst is gone' she stated, fear and confusion lacing her tone, 'I am human again' she confirmed. Leedo's eyes widened with immediate and chilling comprehension, 'They must have performed another ceremony' he asserted, 'but I don't understand, my thirst is still with me.' Neoma shook her head, 'You have also changed, you have returned to the way you were when we first met.' Leedo sat up suddenly. 'Then we need to leave' he declared.

Stunned, Neoma stared at him with wide eyes astonishment, 'What, why?' she blurted out. Placing his hand on her slender shoulder, Leedo stared into her eyes as he answered, 'You have always been the key to whatever Keonhee has been planning,' he began, stepping out from the bed and quickly dressing, 'You are more vulnerable now, he has done this for a reason.' Neoma's heart sank, so many thoughts whirled through her mind, but the feeling of dread at Leedo's words obscured her thoughts. The rich deep tone of his voice placidly entered her consciousness, 'I will protect you and will not harm you' he stated firmly, placing his hand on the side of her face in a gesture of reassurance, 'you have my word' he promised. Neoma met his sombre eyes. They conveyed a determined tenderness that seemed to reach into her soul. She took his large hand and placed it gently against her lips. Kissing him softly she responded, 'I know.'

Quickly dressing, Neoma took Leedo's hand once more and the pair quickly left the dungeon. As they entered the corridor, the unmistakable smell of burning timber entered and overwhelmed their lungs. Long, trailing fingers of smoke trailed from the ceiling above them. The air was transforming into blinding and suffocating smog. Doubling over, the pair began to cough and blunder through the deadly hot mist.

'This way!' commanded Leedo, guiding Neoma quickly towards the main entrance. With a burst of energy, he unbarred and threw open the door. As the pair stepped out, the fresh air was a welcome slap in the face, providing a stark contrast with the shocking sight which greeted them.