18: A Game of Poker (Eren x Reader)

That night I slept with Levi... again. The next morning, I got caught by Eren and it was awkward and then he avoided me for several days afterwards. 

I know I'm unofficially dating Levi, but it always feels like something is missing. And this feeling only happened whenever I saw Eren. 

One evening, this feeling became stronger. We all sat down for a game of poker and I was losing really badly only to be saved by a certain someone.

I knew I had to thank him later...

Just at the height of things, Eren entered, and immediately noticed the enormous fuss.

(y/n)'s forehead was creased and had started to break out in sweat when she was forced to go all-in against the smug looking Jean and an uncommonly ruthless Armin.

"What's going on?" Eren asked,  before walking around the rest, standing behind (y/n), overseeing the table.

He looked down at (y/n)'s cards.

He saw her cards stood practically no chance of winning, and he saw just how much she was about to lose.

God, (y/n). He groaned in his head.

"Check," muttered Armin and Jean in uncanny unison from across the table.

(y/n) swallowed and showed her cards to the rest of the table. Loud groans and sounds of pain were made as everyone saw just how hopeless her hand was. Armin and Jean laughed, not bothering to be discreet. (y/n) moaned and laid her head on the table, not looking up as she heard them slide her money over to their side.

"Wanna just split it, Armin?" Jean proposed in an unusually friendly tone.

"Sure. I wouldn't want to make a wrong bet and lose all the money I now have," he spoke.

(y/n) all of a sudden felt a familiar strong hand on her shoulder. She looked up to see Eren looking down at her sternly, yet determinedly. Oh my god... where the hell have you been all this time? I'm fucking up so badly here!

"Get up," he said in a low voice. The room fell silent as she did, and as Eren took place in her seat. Everyone watched him intently, especially Armin and Jean.

"Armin... I expected more chivalry from you," he started calmly, not looking at him. Jean snickered, as Eren's remark had made Armin look mildly ashamed and shocked.

He realized to his own surprise that ever since he had been rejected by (y/n), he had somehow started to unknowingly act spiteful, which was something he never wished to do. Oh shit... what the hell's gotten into me?

"And Jean. I guess there's no foul-play in winning against a woman fairly, but you could be a little modest about it. You did just bankrupt your good friend, after all," Eren finished, purposely emphasizing the word friend, and pulling a sum of money out of his pocket. Jean scoffed at the remark.

It was about as much as (y/n) had lost, and to think he was carrying that amount around at all times meant Eren had a lot more saved up somewhere ((y/n) had to run to her room thrice to eventually have emptied out all her socks with money in them as the game progressed).

"Well, I believe in second chances. So, what do you say? You could double the money you've just made off (y/n), and I'll throw in exemption from all cleaning duties as well, and all you'd be risking is me winning her money back. Sweet deal, right?"

Connie and the others gaped at this revelation. It was the most exciting thing to have happened in weeks (that didn't involve titans).

Jean, who had quickly regained his cocky mood after hearing Eren's proposition - he especially liked the 'no more cleaning' part - spoke loudly for Armin and himself.