35

You have chosen: Choice B

Final Votes:
30 votes for Choice A
108 votes for Choice B

═══ *.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.* ═══

After one more hesitant look towards the caravan, you turn your attention to the fading bubbles of your invisible attacker.

The offender is still wrestling with your brother, trying once more to reach the satchel at their side in an attempt to grab another potion.

Techno thrusts the blade of his sword closer to the person's neck, or where it should be, earning a sudden sharp intake of breath from the disembodied armor.

"Stop struggling," Techno warns.

You drop to your knees, feeling for where the arms of the person would be. You grab one and pin it to the ground below. Techno follows your lead, grabbing the other.

The midsection of your attacker continues to struggle in your grip, the bubbles fading in and out of reality faster now.

And then they were gone.

And your heart broke a little more.

There on the ground below you lay Dream, staring back up at you with regret and guilt. He hadn't worn his mask, confident he wouldn't have been found out.

"What the fuck?" You manage to whisper, getting to your feet and stumbling backwards in surprise.

"(Y/N), please, it's not what you-" Dream starts.

"It's not what I think? Is that seriously what you're going to fucking tell me?!" You exclaim, "First it's the whole thing with the traitors, and now you're trying to kill me on the battlefield? You're fighting with Schlatt?! What the hell happened to neutrality?!"

Dream stands in an attempt to reach for you, but Techno follows, standing in his way. Not that you would have let him touch you anyway.

The two exchanged a glare, but then Dream turned his attention back to you. He truly did look pained.

"(Y/N), please, let me explain," Dream pleaded, unsuccessfully attempting to get by your brother. "I wasn't trying to kill you, I swear!"

"Then what the hell was that?!" You asked incredulously.

Although, thinking back on it...all of Dream's attempts on landing a hit had been rather weak. He hadn't aimed for any major areas to injure you, and when he had struck you, he elected to use the butt of his sword rather than it's sharp tip.

Dream, who'd been watching you carefully, noticed the slight hesitation in your expression. The recollection of the fight beforehand.

"See? See?" He asked desperately, "You know it. You know I wasn't going to kill you."

"Then what in the gods' names were you doing, Clay?"

Clay bit the inside of his cheek.

"And tell me the truth." You added.

"Of course," He whispered, "I...I thought that, during the battle, if I could occupy before anyone else got to you, I could keep you safe. I figured that I would try and fight you in secrecy, posing as an ally of Manburg, and keep you out of harm's way as long as possible. I'm...I'm sorry." He explained.

You dragged your hands down your face and groaned. Again with the need to protect you...what was it with him?

But...it did make sense