Chapter 3- Invitation

Ariella's POV

"Now in class, we will be talking a little bit more about the adverse reactions of the different types of pain medications commonly used to control pain." Mrs Heather continues as she displays the next slide on the screen.

I could not help but to notice most students who yawned at the sight of the various pain medications being displayed onto the projector screen.

Well, it does seem like most of us are half-dead or even half-asleep in this class. I could not help but to also yawn as soon as I caught another student yawning in class. I then proceed on to check the time on my phone.

Great, now it is 11am. I have an hour more to go and I can say goodbye to medicine and say hello to my short napping session before going for my group meeting.

"Ariella?" Ella whispers, nudging me by my right elbow as she attempts to get my attention.

"Hold on a minute." I said, busy scribbling down whatever Mrs Heather had mentioned during the lecture. I definitely would not want to miss out on any important information, especially when we are having a mini quiz on pain medications in a week.

"Yeah?" I looked up to Ella once I was done scribbling down my notes.

"Here you go. Hope this helps you to better listen in class, " Ella said, passing a packet of snacks to me under the tables.

"You know that we cannot eat in the lecture hall don't you?" I whispered back to her, pushing that packet of snacks back to her.

"I know, but look around you, people are sneakily eating their snacks in the middle of the class and Mrs Heather does not seem to be bothered by it." Ella reasoned out with me, shoving the packet of snacks into my bag since I had been refusing it from the moment she offered it to me.

"Is everything alright there with you, Ariella?" Mrs Heather called out to me, causing all eyes to be upon me.

Now I can definitely feel my heart start to pump a little bit more harder and faster, with some sweats trickling down my forehead. Needless to say that I could feel my temperature rising too.

"Yes, of course Mrs Heather." I attempted to reply back in a calm manner as I gave my most innocent smile ever.

Gee, thanks Ella for getting me into this mess.

"Now then, would you help me to answer this question then? What are some of the adverse reactions for the use of morphine sulphate?" Mrs Heather asks, taking sips of water as she waits upon my reply.

"Well, some adverse reactions include patients having low blood pressure, inability to pass urine or motion, sedation and respiratory distress." I answered confidently.

"Excellent. Great job, Ariella." Mrs Heather said, looking rather impressed with my answer.

"Damn Ariella, did you actually study her notes before coming to class?" Ella whispered, looking at me in pure shock and amazement.

"You bet. Especially when I had a friend who had just nearly got me into trouble." I said, adding a pinch of sarcasm in my response.

"Not my fault that you reject my snacks and an act of kindness." Ella said, raising her hands up in defeat after hearing from my answer.

"But joke aside, yes I do study. I mean we have a mini quiz on pain medications next week too..."

"Goodness, you need to calm down Ariella. It has just been the second week of the new academic semester." Ella said, giving me a worried look.

"Not when I have a grade to take care of."

"True that. Ariella 1, Ella 0." Ella concluded off our conversation as we continued to focus on the lecture on pain medications.