Chapter 18- Just Friends

Ariella's POV

"I understand. Thank you for your time, Ms Hudson. We will get in touch with you, should we need any other information from you." The lady in blue uniform concluded, closing the case file on the table as my verbal statement had finally come to an end.

Once I had exited the room, I could see a concerned Tyler pacing up and down the waiting room, with his hands in his pant pockets and his hair slightly messy.

"Tyler." I called out, catching his attention.

"What took you so long?" Tyler said, walking towards me and soon engulfing me into a tight hug, which I gladly took.

It was not him who needed the hug.

It was us.

An hour ago...

The staff was startled after opening the door as he came to face the decapitated figure.

The staff began to converse with his colleagues through the walkie-talkie, where we heard various exchanges and responses along the way.

"You two, please put everything on the spot and come out." He concluded.

Just as I was about to exit the room, my legs felt weak and it immediately gave way. Tyler seemed to notice it and hence tightened his grip on my shoulders.

Shortly after, sirens were heard from a distance and soon everything unfolded before our eyes.

All the staff were asked to stand outside of the room.

Clearly they were at a loss. Some appeared lost and horrified as they looked at the scene that unfolded in their eyes, while some dared not to take the slightest glimpse in the room.

Needless to say, there were grasps and noises heard amongst the staff since they were using their hands to either cover their mouth while talking to one another or to cover their mouth from the shock.

The room was swiftly filled with the yellow police tape with several forensics officers either scanning through the room or collecting blood stains and fingerprints that they could possibly find in the room.

Strangely enough, the police were unable to find the decapitated figure's head.

"A penny in your thought?" Tyler said, noticing my blank expression as he pulled away from the hug.

I nod since my whole body was emotionally and physically worn out from the incident in the escape room earlier.

"Let us have a seat, shall we?" Tyler said, bringing me to the row of seats. He then offered me to rest my head on his right shoulder while we waited for the officers to give us the green light to leave the police station.

"I have notified Mrs Granger about the incident and... she promised that she would not tell the kids about it... at least for now."

"That's good. The kids must not know about this since this might be traumatising for them to hear and to even imagine it." I said, closing my eyes to take a short rest as silence followed after our conversation had ended.

"Elise?" Tyler breaks the silence between us.

"Hmm?"

"I can't believe that I am saying this here but I... I just want to say that I am sorry."

"What for?" I said, opening my eyes but not moving a single inch as I waited upon Tyler to continue what he wanted to say. Somehow, something within me knew where our conversation was headed towards.

"For leaving you. For hurting you." Tyler said, shifting his head slightly to lean on mine.

"I am sorry, Elise. I didn't mean to but I was actually forced to. I wish I could tell you the reason but-... but-I really can't." Tyler said, in between pauses. It was as though he wanted to break the reason to me but something so strong was holding him back.

"And believe it or not, I still like you. I really do... You are the first and only woman that I have ever liked and fell so deeply in love with." Tyler continued, with his hands touching his face while he kept his head straight.

Keep talking, Tyler. I am listening.

"Elise?" Tyler said, appearing as though he was mustering his courage while he turned his head to look straight at me.

"Hmm?"

"I know that we, or perhaps I have messed it up. But... But..." Words seemed to be stuck on Tyler's throat as he struggled to speak it out to me.

I would definitely be lying if I said that it does not pains me to see Tyler like this, especially after all that we have been through together, along with the escape room incident.

I could definitely and surely sense that we still have strong feelings and attraction towards each other.

I am a hundred percent of it.

But... What is exactly stopping him from saying his next sentence or perhaps, what is making him to be so hesitant about saying his next sentence to me?

"But?" I said, not wanting to sound hopeful, or even to set my hopes up.

"But.. If possible, I want us to become friends, even though we can't get back together."

That is it.

Sounds of my fragile broken heart ricocheted in my mind as I heard the next sentence.

What do you mean you want us to be friends?

I don't want us to be friends.

I need you.

I want us.

What is stopping you, Tyler Hood?

"You want us to become friends?" I repeated his sentence, not wanting to believe what my ears had heard.

"Yes." Tyler said, breaking the eye contact we had.

"No." I breathed out.

"What?"

Just as Tyler was about to speak, the same female officer who had interviewed me, came out of the room and gave us the green light to leave the police station.

"I don't want us to be friends. I don't want anything that has to be related to you. Thank you and goodbye Tyler Hood." I said, picking up my bag and swiftly turned away from him, preventing the tears in my eyes from escaping.

Before Tyler could even process the whole thing between us, I began walking out of the police station with my tears slowly flowing down my cheeks.

If only, I knew what happened to you, Tyler. I would have tried to save you from it.

But... before I knew it, you were already slipping through my fingertips.

~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: AW man! Such a heartbreak for Ariella :(

Feel free to recommend this book to your friends if you enjoyed reading this! Stay tune!

Love, J.