59. Hard to Play Human

For the record, I am not tryna save this n•gga.

"Aaronzé," Mae taps my lap while I drive, "Did you hear me?"

"Yes I heard you.. I'll go over and see what he wants but I'm not helping him with shit."

She hums on that thought, "Agreed."

   We were headed to the hospital, conveniently after Marae's grandmother decided she would pick up Terrence's medication instead of asking me to do it.

     I'd heard her through the phone telling Mae to spend the day relaxing.

      And relax she will; after I see what the hell this mutt wants.

      "Um... Are you still er.." She started off with an awkward tone, "hungry?"

     Ah, that.

      "I am," I answer honestly, "But as I said, I'm going to wait."

     "You can restrain yourself like that?"

That was a question I didn't entirely know the answer to. I wanted to say yes, but it'd be a lie. If I say no..

"Most times."

She might freak out. I didn't want to freak her out.

      "What's that mean?"

    Shit.

    "Well.." I take in a breath, don't hate me, "I normally can resist my food. But you.. You're like a cherry pie topped with whip cream."

    She thinks on it. 'So, he just reaaallly wants to eat me..'

"In more ways than one," I try to joke.

The road seemed smooth under these tires, to her at least. I on the other hand am focusing on each little bump and pebble the car rides over; instead of listening to her thoughts.

I wish I could look at her.

"This is our turn," She points ahead, "The hospital is on the left."

"Ah," I nodded.

Is it weird that I compared her to a dessert? The responses and explanations I'd been giving lately sound so... odd.

It's hard to play human.

"So... Have you... you know.." Mae starts, "...Fed off of anyone before..?"

    "Why would you want to know the answer to that?"

    She pauses as I slow the vehicle to a stop. There's no response. I sigh and shake my head, "Why does that matter to you?"

    "It doesn't I just.. I'm curious.."

  The cars were swooshes of grey outside of ours, passing from the left and right in front of us. I turned my head slightly, Mae was watching them.

    Searching her mind for an answer would be wrong.

    I shrug, "I bite people a lot and eat them. You're the first person I've bitten nicely."

    Marae blinks hard.

  I could've conveyed that message a lot better. While she shivers in her seat, the light turns green on us.

    My attention is taken by the road, "I could've said that differently."

    "Oh no it's fine—"

  "No I feel like I'm scaring you," I state the obvious. She mumbles to herself and tosses her head back.