19

xix

xix. PREPARING FOR WAR

Derek Hale |

DEREK'S STRONG SCULPTED ARMS WERE WRAPPED AROUND HIS MATES SMALL FRAME. He held her close to his chest while she slept soundly in his secure embrace. As much as he waited for her to willingly spend the night with him, he couldn't help the way he still feels even after his conversation with Christian. At this point, he wished greatly he met Azalea at an earlier time. He even wished he would wake up and the rogue situation would just disappear so he could focus on her.

He feels completely cursed at the time he first met her. He didn't understand why the universe made it so he met her at this time when he was having this never ending battle with the rogues. There had to be a reason. It wasn't at all fair to him. Right now he should be putting his entire attention and focus on his mate. Instead, he was trying to split his focus on both her and the rogue situation. This added more worry on his behalf as he needed to keep Azalea safe at all costs. He would never be able to forgive himself if something happened to her. Which is why he had to keep what Christian told him from her.

"We have a problem. A big problem." Christian let out a heavy breath, looking at Derek worriedly while briefly glancing at Azalea who stood right behind him.

Derek huffed, gently squeezing his mate's hand for comfort. "Can it wait until later tonight? Or tomorrow morning when Shawn and his pack arrives." Despite knowing it must've been urgent, Derek needed to spend every minute he could with his mate. He was annoyed pack business kept ruining his time with her. She needed him as much as the pack did. In his mind, she came before anything and anyone else. The reality is, he needed to balance it all out.

"I think this is something you would want to hear." Christian narrowed his gaze on his Alpha. "Now."

"Fucking hell. Meet me at the pack house then. Will be there in five." Derek told him, his tone laced with annoyance. He winced when he felt Azalea's hand slip from his own.

"You need to prioritize the pack over me, Derek. I'm safe and okay since there's a community filled with werewolves protecting it." She spoke softly in attempt to comfort him.

His inner wolf huffed stubbornly, not wanting to back down. He had to be the one to keep her safe. Only him. That's what a mate does. "Azalea–"

"No," She said sternly, catching him by surprise. "Don't argue with me. Focus on keeping the pack safe and taking care of this rogue situation. Once that's all handled, then we can focus on us."

He opened his mouth to protest but quick shut it. Deep down he knew she was right. He needed to focus on his pack, his community. If he continued to slack, there may not be a pack of community anymore. And there was no way he was going down without a fight. He was going to fight. Not just for the community but for his mate.