66

LXVI

LXVI. NEW BATTLES

derek hale |

DEREK SAT IN THE PACK LIVING ROOM WITH A GLARE ON HIS FACE, WATCHING JAMIE AND AZALEA WORK CLOSELY ON THEIR LAW WORK. the past couple days were spent with him helping scott and the pack discreetly so she didn't suspect anything. with her spending a lot of her time now focusing on her work, it made it easier for him to keep quiet about what's been going on. he did feel guilty as they made a promise to always be open to each other. he wanted to tell her the truth but he couldn't bring himself to. he most certainly didn't want her to worry about something that still wasn't a big enough thing to be completely worried about.

a part of him was angry and jealous with how close she's been with jamie. he was getting most of her time and attention whereas he wasn't. the only time he really got with her is when they were going to bed and if he was lucky, in the mornings as well. he missed when they were together almost every second of the day. he knew eventually it would become unrealistic to keep being together every second of the day. he just didn't think it would happen so soon. his wolf was craving for her undivided attention.

"so they just dismissed the entire case? as bad as it sounds, i was hoping it would go to trial so i can get experience being in the courtroom." he heard azalea sigh in defeat, watching her lean back in the chair and crossing her arms over her chest.

jamie chuckled, "this is the best outcome for our client. and the fact we got the case dismissed but also our client can't be tried again, this is a victory for us. this trial could've had a worse outcome."

"you're right. i just hope michael has something new he can give me. this would look great for me." she said frowning slightly. she caught derek watching her making a small smirk cover her soft features.

"i'm sure he will. i'll check with him tomorrow and keep you updated. unless you wanna try a different type of case? perhaps maybe corporate?" he suggested, his tone in a slight teasing manner as he knew she was determined for criminal law and nothing else.

she sent him a playful glare, "absolutely not. i wouldn't like to deal with arrogant and entitled people."

"ouch, is that what you think of me?" he raised his eyebrows at her. "because most lawyers are typically arrogant and entitled. so what does that say about you, miss azalea?"

though derek knew his mate and jamie were only joking, he wanted to punch the beta in the face. his human side saw it was a joke, though his wolf however didn't. he relaxed when he saw his girl let out a chuckle, smirking in slight surprise.

"i'm not a lawyer yet. we can revisit the arrogance conversation if i pass the bar." she told him, grabbing her empty coffee mug to put it in the kitchen sink.