25

xxv

xxv. DISCRETIONS

Azalea Montez |

AZALEA SAT IN BETWEEN DEREK'S LEGS WITH HER BACK PLASTERED TO HIS CHEST. His arms were wrapped securely around her, the side of his face rested against her head as he focused on the sound of her heart beat. There no other feeling other than safety and warmth consuming her as she sat contently in his embrace. She felt such protection and content. She was glad she gave in to the bond.

The two of them were sitting in an open field on a picnic blanket surrounded by a few small throw blankets and two pillows. They were watching the sun set down past the horizon, enjoying each other's company. Finally they got the time to have their make up date, one that was supposed to happen until she was attacked by a rogue wolf and things took a drastic turn. But this date opened Azalea's eyes.

She learned more about Derek. She got to see a side of him no one has ever seen. Maybe either Scott, Jamie, or Shawn but those were rare occasions. She got to see a vulnerable side of him she never thought she would get to see. And it made her more understanding of who he is and why he is the way he is sometimes.

He opened up to her about losing his family, excluding Peter, and turning the years he spent grieving into something extraordinary. His community. He became Alpha and built the strongest pack and community known. The anger he felt was channeled into power. Then he forced himself to learn how to not overuse his power and take abuse of it. He had to be fair.

"This is peaceful." She murmured, pushing herself further back into his chest.

He hummed in agreement, rubbing his nose against her temple and tightening his arms around her. "I wish things could be this peaceful forever."

"I know." She mumbled, closing her eyes as the thought of Xavier still out there potentially building another army crossed her mind. It frightened her greatly but she was more afraid of losing Derek.

"I'm not going to let anything happen to you, okay? We'll be okay I promise." He told her, planting a lingering kiss on her head. He would make sure nothing would ever hurt her and that they would be okay. The only thing standing between them is Gerard and his evil plan.

It was silent for another few moments between them before she spoke up again. "Derek?"

"Hm?"

"Can I see you in your wolf form?" She suddenly asked, craning her neck to look up at his slightly surprised expression. "I–I mean only if you want to show me. You don't have to but I w–" She was then cut off by his lips coming down on hers in a soft kiss.