41

xli

xli. COMPROMISES

Derek Hale |

WITH CAREFUL AND QUIET MOVEMENTS, AZALEA CLIMBED OUT OF BED AS SHE DIDN'T WANT TO WAKE THE SLEEPING ALPHA BESIDE HER. She succeeded in not waking him. The last thing she wanted was to deal with a moody, protective wolf. She was still feeling the aftermath of the news from last night. And she was still replaying her words to Derek, wondering if she should go through with her decision or not. In the moment of saying it would be best for them to take a break, she meant it. Now thinking about it she wasn't sure what to do. It made her sick to imagine them taking a break for a little bit but it was even worse to imagine him spending all his time with a girl taking the Luna place.

She couldn't imagine a world where Derek wasn't apart of it. Even when Derek was keeping her locked away here when they first met, something still pulled her to him and having him in her life felt right. A world without him sounded foreign to her. Maybe that was why taking a break wasn't the best option, because she knew being apart from him would make everything more painful for her. And all she wanted was to be happy with him.

"You know I hate waking up to an empty space next to me." Derek mumbled sleepily, rubbing his tired eyes as he found Azalea sitting wrapped in a blanket on the porch swing. He had a tired pout on his face, his hair messy which represented the perfect bed head. He look so soft and vulnerable, it made Azalea feel warm and fuzzy inside.

"I didn't want to wake you. And I wanted to take in the quietness of the early morning." She told him, wrapping the blanket tighter around her for warmth. He quickly pulled her into his warm body, resting his cheek on the top of her head.

He hummed, closing his eyes once more and focusing on the calmness he was feeling. He smiled in bliss when he felt her cuddle more into him. The two of them sat wrapped up in each other, enjoying the quietness of the early morning hours. It wasn't often when Derek got to relish in the quietness of his community when it was dawn. The peacefulness was certainly something he enjoyed in this moment, wanting nothing but peace when it came to his home. Which is why he was on strong favor of passing leadership to Scott. If there was anyone he could trust to take over everything he created, it would definitely be Scott. He couldn't picture anyone else who was perfect enough to fulfill his role. Though he would still have his status and title as Alpha, he just wouldn't be completely in charge of his community.

He knew stepping down from leader was the right choice for him. He's been running this entire pack and community for so many years, it was time he pulled back to focus on his mate and begin a new chapter in his life. He was ready to begin his forever with Azalea.

"What're you thinking about?" She asked him in a soft tone, her eyes scanning his features.

He hummed, his lips curling into a small smile as he thought about spending the rest of his life with her. "About how I'm making the right decision."