51

LI

LI. PLAN OF RUIN

derek hale |

DEREK LAID WIDE AWAKE LATE AT NIGHT WITH AZALEA FAST ALSEEP IN HIS ARMS. this was their first night away from the comfort of their home and he was completely restless. usually he'd be perfectly okay as long as azalea was with him, but now he found himself unable to sleep despite her being safe and sound in his arms. he focused on the sound of her heart beat and her quiet snores he found utterly adorable. as creepy as it sounded, he watched her as she slept peacefully with her head tucked between his arm and the side of his upper chest.

the moonlight cascaded a soft glow of light in the room, illuminating her face just enough he could see her clearly. she was more than perfect to him bathing in the light of the moon, sleeping soundly on him. the love seeping through him as he watched her was amazingly overwhelming, and he didn't know how he went this long without her. he didn't know how he functioned this long without her.

he would do absolutely everything and anything for her. he wouldn't ever deny her anything she wanted. taking care of her, loving her, gave him peace and hope he hadn't had in such a long time. the hard times between them would never make him give up on her, he could never even begin to imagine his life without her. the difficulties between them would never outweigh the amazing times and progress they've made. they came so far together since the beginning and that was all he ever wanted.

though he sometimes thought what it would be like if there weren't any threats. maybe it would've been a hell of a lot easier in the beginning to build his relationships with her. maybe they could like any other normal couple. they wouldn't have to watch their back every day, they wouldn't have to be encountered with strange supernatural situations, and they could just be free.

the sound of his phone vibrating on the bed side table pulled him from his thoughts. he carefully leaned over to grab his phone, seeing an urgent message from shawn.

'we got a lead. meet me at the end of the east side of my territory. a group of trackers are chasing two of them that way.'

he quickly and carefully tried to untangle himself from azalea but she tightened her grip on him unconsciously, letting out what sounded like a whine. his wolf whimpered at having to leave her in the middle of the night for what could become a dangerous chase. if he could have her attached to his hip at all times, then he would. he wouldn't think twice about getting to have her with him as much as possible.

the whine she made at him trying to move from her almost broke him and made him want to forget all about the issues so he could stay with her. his wolf was making it harder for him to do what he needed to do and the longer he let himself keep her in his arms, the harder it was for him to want to go help his allies.