24

xxiv

xxiv. A LUNA'S PLAN

Derek Hale |

DEREK WATCHED AZALEA WITH A GRIN ON HIS FACE, ENJOYING THE WAY SHE ARGUED WITH JAMIE. He couldn't help but find her cute the way she scrunched her nose and squinted her eyes when thinking of her next comeback. He watched her with nothing but a look of pure love written all of his chiseled features as she continued to argue with Jamie. Everything she did was endearing to him.

"You give quite the argument, Miss Azalea." Jamie noted as a proud with, a wide smile sitting on his face. "You're gonna be one hell of a lawyer."

"Mm, might be better than you." She smirked, sipping water from her glass as she leaned back in her seat.

"Have you decided who you want to clerk for?" He questioned.

She shook her head, "I haven't thought much about it yet. I actually haven't even looked for any judges yet. Hasn't been any time for me to do that." Her eyes glanced over at Derek who met her gaze before quickly turning away.

Derek knew he was part to blame for everything. He still continued to feel incredibly guilty for how things were in the beginning. Still he wished he could redo everything and make things better. But everything that happened was in the past now and they were moving forward. Especially since Azalea was giving into the bond and was finding it harder and harder to be angry with Derek. He knew the bond was getting ready to hit her at full force. There was still so much more he needed to tell her but he could tell it would make her overwhelmed.

"Do you wanna stay the night with me tonight?" Derek asked Azalea in a quiet tone, leaning closer to her.

"I would if Victoria wasn't still mad at Christian." She told him with a slight scoff, glancing at her best friend with raised eyebrows. "I'm stuck with her."

He frowned, "How about you sneak out later then?"

Before she could reply, Shawn stood up and raised his glass to Derek. "Before we start this meeting, I have something I would love to say." The smirk on Shawn's face said everything to Derek. He was gonna embarrass the Alpha in front of his mate. Ignoring the glare on Derek's face, Shawn continued his speech. "Thank you Derek for allowing us onto your territory to help eliminate the rogues. My pack and I are grateful for the opportunity to get blood on our hands as always."

Azalea glanced at Derek who kept his eyes locked on Shawn with raised eyebrows. She then glanced at Jamie who shook his head at her but she couldn't get the message he was trying to tell her.

"It's incredible to see how someone who I view as my baby brother is the strongest and most ruthless Alpha around. Feels like yesterday when I first met you. We were both teenagers and you just had your first shift." The chuckle at the end of his sentence was enough to make Derek intervene, definitely not wanting to be embarrassed in front of his mate.