Chapter 17: Kaede Akamatsu

Shuichi's point of view

"Okay, Mom, I'm heading out," I go down the stairs.

Mom nods, and I equip my hat. I grab my phone with my earbuds, then go outside.

It is 7:30. The concert is at 8, so better to be early than not. No, I did not dress nice. It's a piano concert in a ball hall at a community center, not like a wedding. I listen to some rock music on the way to the community center.

Inside the place, there was people bowling, kids playing at arcade machines, people enjoying pizza, as well as people in the ball hall for Kaede's concert. I am the Ultimate Detective; therefore, it is a relief to see people having a good time.

I was wrong about not dressing nice. There were tons of people in formal outfits; because of that, I felt out of place. At least Kaito is here. I sit next to him.

"There she is, Shuichi," Kaito points to Maki sitting in the back.

Well, at least Maki is not dressing nice either, or as formal as she could have been. She never has struck me as "ladylike" to begin with.

"Ah, I see. So did you ask her to work out?" I wonder.

"I will ask her when the show is over," Kaito shares.

"Sounds good," I reply.

The lights dim and the curtains are opening slowly. Once the curtains fully opened, Kaede was there. She is  at her piano. She is wearing a lovely red dress, and has her hair tied back. She is... she's very beautiful. I now know that Heaven is real, because she has been sent straight from there.

She noticed me, and let off a light smile. I noticed her, too, and smiled as well. She proceeds to play the piano. Kaede is the Ultimate Pianist, and how accurate is that title. She plays her music so beautifully. I... it is magical and divine.

The show lasted for about an hour. Very good concert she put on. After most of the audience left, she approaches Kaito and I. Maki is still sitting down. I can't say for what, though.

"Thanks for coming, you two!" She smiles.

"No problem, Kaede!" Kaito gives the good 'ol thumbs up.

I don't say anything; instead, I just look down at the floor. I have no idea how I'm feeling.

"Shuichi, what's wrong?" Kaito asks.

"Oh, nothing... just... depressed, I guess. Don't get me wrong, Kaede, your concert was great, but I'm not in the mood for anything," I look down again.

"Aww, Shuichi, I'll help you," Kaede places her hands on my shoulders.

The next thing I know, she kissed my cheek. I was not expecting that all. That's... that was so kind of her. She's a good spirit.

"Kaito, I'll walk Shuichi home," Kaede holds onto my hand.

Kaito's point of view

With Kaede walking with Shuichi, I check up on Maki. She is still in this ballroom.

"Hey, what are you still doing here?" I sit next to her.

She gave me cold silence. She just stood straight up, then began to walk out.

"You sure you don't want to hangout with me tomorrow, Maki Roll?" I call out.

"I told you... DON'T CALL ME 'MAKI ROLL'!" She shouted.

"Okay, but me and Shuichi will be working out," I say.

"Working out, huh? Mhm, then... then sounds like a plan. Fine, okay. But do not try anything," she agrees.

"Ah, thank you. We'll come get you at 4 o'clock," I announce.

"Sure, whatever. But hey... I normally do not say this, but sorry for having an outburst towards you," she apologies.

"Nah, it's cool," I put my elbow on a chair.

Of course when I did that, the chair falls down. I picked it back up, and gave Maki a salute. She let out a small chuckle, then went out. I think... she finds my clumsiness funny.

Kaede's point of view

"Instead of walking you home right now, let's have a seat and relax for a moment," I suggest.

"Uh, okay," Shuichi nods.

We claim a spot at a table. We slouch down across from each other on the chairs with the table.

"Hey, you can talk to me, Shuichi. What's the matter?" I look at him.

"Nothing... just depressed and not in the mood. Life has been hard, and I don't think anyone likes me," he hides his face in his hat and looks down.

"Aww, do not fret, Shuichi. That is not true at all. I like you, Kaito likes you, even Maki does. You have more friends than you think."

I cuff my hands in his. He looks up for a moment, shocked about that. He holds onto my hands, too. We exchange smiles.

"Aww, there's the joyous smile I wanted to see," I blush a little.

"Thanks, Kaede."

Because we heard shouting not too far away, our moment didn't last too long. That voice was without a doubt Maki's. She's my friend.

"We better hear what Kaito did, or we won't be hearing the end of it," Shuichi sighs.

"Right," I giggle.

Maki walks out from the ballroom and into the bowling alley part, where Shuichi and me were. Although she had nothing to say, she pointed to the ballroom. I guess Kaito is still in there. Maki goes out of the community center.

"All right, sidekick, Maki said she'd work out with us tomorrow," Kaito proudly announces.

"You sure that's a good idea? I mean, she just let out a farcry scream that could've spread across the oceans," Shuichi observes. 

"Good of an idea as any," Kaito replies.

"Goodbye, Shuichi. Maybe we will see each other tomorrow," I wave.

"Yeah, here's to hoping," Shuichi leaves with Kaito.

I wish Shuichi wasn't so hard on himself. Then again, he is the Ultimate Detective. A job like that must not make life easy, but still... I am willing to help him with his emotions for emotional support. Even though he may not realize it, I make my music for him. I... may be in love.