Chapter 9

The sun came creeping in my window the next morning and it hit me, Jake was gone. He had to be right? I mean I single handed told him he should go without me to Australia. I checked my phone for some gleam of hope and nothing.. there was nothing. No text from him begging me to come with him, no missed calls. What did I really expect though? For him to chase after me, stand outside my window with a boom box declaring his love for me? I told him to leave without me and he did. Boom, done. End of story. Then why did i have this awful ache in my heart telling me to go after him? If I leave now, I could possibly make it to his place before he leaves for the airport.

It turns out that's all the convincing I needed. Ten minutes later I was standing in front of his apartment in sweats and Ugg boots. Not my finest wardrobe but I couldn't spend a second getting ready. I was about to knock on the door when it swung open to a surprised face, of a woman. A beautiful, very well proportioned woman might I add. I'm sure in that moment we both looked confused. "oh hello. Jake didn't tell me he ordered anything. Are you lost?" her Australian accent came through thick and I figured maybe she was his sister? I didn't realize how much time had passed before I said anything back. She was looking at me like I had nine heads.

"Sorry, no. I'm Grace, a friend of Jake's." If that's what label we're slapping on it. Just then Jake rounded the corner with a look of confusion also. "Grace? What are you doing here? We we're just about to leave for the airport." I shuffled in my place a little, totally regretting the Uggs. "Jake, can we speak in private for a moment?" I glanced at the perfect model standing in the doorway next to him and she looked puzzled. Trust me sis, I'm just as confused as you are. "Of course, Felicity please take the bags to the car. I'll be there soon." She turned away without saying a word and headed downstairs. Weird way to talk to his girlfriend...or sister.

"Come in please, I was just making some coffee. You want some?" I sat on his big, fluffy chair and smoothed out my oversized tee shirt. Again , why didn't I re think my wardrobe choice? "Um, no I'm good. Who's your friend?" He smirked and sat across from me. "Her name is Felicity, she's my assistant from back home. I had her fly over to help me with a few arrangements." I couldn't tell if he could sense the relief in my body posture in that moment but a small part of me did a happy dance. "Oh, right. So you're leaving soon huh? I'm sorry, I didn't mean to barge in I just really needed to speak to you before you left." He shifted his posture more closely and i felt a bead of sweat run down my neck. "Of course Grace, you can tell me anything. What's up?"

Here goes nothing. "I lied last night, when I told you to go without me and that I'd be fine. The truth is Jake, I don't think I would be fine spending another minute wondering about us. Being too scared to tell you how I feel, for fear of getting hurt. I know you aren't looking for something serious and you know that I eventually want to get married. But over the past several months, something inside of me keeps saying to abandon everything I know and follow you to Australia. Because if I don't, I will wake up every morning with that what if feeling. I'm tired of saying what if, I'm ready to say why not?" He kept quite for a couple minutes which felt like eternity. Just as he was about to speak his assistant blew through the door. "Jake, if we don't leave now we will miss our flight." Dang you Felicity, dang you.

"Look Grace, I have to go. I appreciate everything you just said and maybe in another life we could be together right now. But the truth is, my mum is sick and she needs me first. I wouldn't be able to give our relationship the attention it deserves down there. So you we're right telling me no. I think it's best if I go alone and then we try and talk about it when my mum is stable. I do care for you, like nobody else." Then why are you trying to push me away? My brain said but my mouth couldn't quite make out. I sat there looking like an idiot. A desperate, heartbroken idiot. A single tear fell from my eye and I wiped it away quickly. No way was I going to let him see me cry. "Y-Yeah, you're right. You should absolutely be focused on you're mom right now. I shouldn't have bombarded you. I'll go now." I jumped up super quickly and headed for the door. Which he made it to before me.

"This is not a no, Grace. This is a not right now. I have been having feelings for you lately that I've never felt and I don't want to just throw those away. If you are willing to wait on me until I get my personal life in check, I think we could be worth something." I gave him a small smile and walked out the door. That was it, that's all I could do. I was too broken to say anything more, with the fear of blubbering like a baby. That was it, he was gone and I had to accept it.

The Wrong OneOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara