Chapter 2

Days had went by and I never heard from my father. Did I want to even hear from him? I wasn't sure, but there was definitely a part of me that felt empty. All I've ever wanted was to feel accepted by him for who I truly am. Will that ever happen? Just as I was deep in thought Sarah came over where I was wiping down the same table for at least 15 minutes. "Hey uh.. I think that table is clean enough yeah?" I looked down and could literally see my reflection. She gave me a small smile and poked my elbow playfully. I managed a fake smile and moved on to the next table. The cafe was slow so Lydia turned on my Spotify playlist I had linked. Bound to you from the movie Burlesque started playing and of course I couldn't help myself. After all, Christina was my girl. 

  Just as I was belting out the chorus a guy that looked maybe a few years older than me walked in. The complete tall, dark and handsome package. He was wearing aviator sunglasses and his tattoos poked through his leather jacket. "Honey were about to close up here. Can I help ya with something?" Lydia gave him a strange look but I was frozen in my tracks. He couldn't keep his eyes off of me as he answered her. "Um yeah actually, I think I'm lost. My GPS turned me around at the freeway and I ended up here. I'm just trying to get back to the city." He had a slight Australian accent but in the way where you could tell he's lived here for a while. "Excuse me miss?" it took me a minute to realize he was talking to me. I choked out a faint "yes?" and he smiled. "Was that you I heard singing as I walked in?" Oh great, I'm pretty sure my face turned every shade of red at that point. "Oh um, yeah it was." I gave him a brief smile and continued cleaning. "Sir I can give you real simple directions on how to get back to the city if you'd like. How about a cup of coffee while you wait?" Sarah gave him that flirtatious smile she gives every guy she thinks is hot. 

  She's been with so many guys in the past month I can't even keep up. I could still feel his gaze on me while I cleaned and I felt totally embarrassed. "Sure, that'd be great." He sat at the bar and took his sunglasses off. I managed to take in his full presence as I cleaned. Leather jacket, torn white t shirt, black ripped skinny jeans and black Vans. His hair kind of hung in his face as he swooped it back with his hand. He had letters tattooed on his fingers I couldn't quite make out. He shrugged off his jacket and had two full sleeves of tattoos on his arms. This guy was absolutely lost but I can't say I was mad about it. This is exactly the kind of person my father would want me to stay away from but I was so intrigued by him. All I knew is I wanted to know more. "So what has you all the way out here?" 

I nosily asked before thinking. He spun around to face me eyes wide, like he was reading my face. "I work for a recording studio in the city and was out looking for new talent. When I heard your voice down the street I knew I had to come in."
  He smiled and took a sip of his coffee. I was of course blushing, no one knew had ever heard me sing. A recording studio? This had to be fate. "Oh wow a recording studio huh?" Sarah said while winking at me. She mouthed "get his number" before going in the back. This had to be my one shot, I had to say something. Before I could get another word out he cut me off. "Look I think you have an amazing voice. You should come check out the studio, I'm sure my friends would love to hear you." 

He handed me his business card and gave me a flirty smile. I smiled back and took the card. Here I am in worn out black leggings and an oversized t shirt. Hair on a bun on top of my head taking a business card from someone who looked like he stepped straight out of a punk rock band. All I knew in that moment was I didn't care what I looked like, I just had to know more. "Um thanks, yeah I'll look into it." I tried to act cool but ended up tripping over my mop bucket. He caught me with one swift move and it felt like electricity coursing through my body as he touched me. He must've felt it too because his eyes locked with mine. In that moment, it felt like time stood still. 

  Reality knocked me back on my feet as Sarah walked through the lobby. "Is everything ok here?" She was smiling that smile she gives when she knows something is up. I quickly stood up and straightened my shirt. "Thanks for the info, I'll call you." I smiled and walked to the back. "I hope so!" He yelled as I heard the front door open and close. I let out a huge breath of relief I didn't realize I was holding in. "Ooooh Grace has an admirer." Sarah said like a little school girl while fanning herself with napkins. I felt the rush of blood come to my cheeks as I smiled and popped her butt with the mop handle. "Oh please, I will probably never see that guy again. This probably isn't even a real business card." Of course every ounce of me was hoping it was legit. "Grace come on. You have an amazing voice that any record producer guy would be crazy not to sign! Either you call the guy tomorrow or I'm doing it for you!"