Chapter 19

The next morning I had a missed call from my dad. I was nervous as I raised it to my ear to listen to the voicemail. "Grace, uh. I guess I missed ya. Look, I'm real sorry for the way I acted the last time you were here. I'll have your stuff ready whenever you want to come get it. Give me a call when you decide to head over, I'd love to see you." Something sounded different in his voice. He almost sounded, happy. I tiptoed to the kitchen sure not to wake Adam. I decided to make him breakfast since he had been cooking for me all week. I did the best I could with what little skillset I had. He walked in a few minutes later rubbing his eyes. Wearing only his boxers, I admired just how perfect he was. Like seriously, chefs kiss.

"Good morning sleepy head. I made you breakfast this time. Hope you like frozen waffles and eggs." He kissed me and sat down. "Of course, my favorite past time is eating frozen waffles on a Saturday morning while watching cartoons." We both laughed and dug into our luxury breakfast. After, I hopped in the shower deciding today should be the day I go to my dads. Do I tell him what happened? Probably shouldn't, I wouldn't want him to worry about me now that I'm moving further away. Me and Adam hadn't really looked at apartments in California yet but that would come later on the to do list. "Hey, so my dad left me a voicemail this morning. He said he was sorry and would love to see me. So I thought about heading down there today. Would you want to maybe come with?" I said it in a way that made him laugh. "You say it like I would be miserable. Of course I'll go with you. I just need to do a few things at the studio then I'll pick you up. Cool with you?"

I forgot about the world out there. I hadn't been away from Adam in over 24 hours and I wasn't sure I could do it. I had to though. If I never did anything alone again, I wouldn't heal properly. I agreed and put on a brave face before he left. After the door closed, it felt dark around me. I was scared to be alone, scared Jake would somehow pop back up. I decided to distract myself by writing a new song. About two hours into my writing, I realized I hadn't heard from Adam. I started to worry as I dialed his number. "Hey babe, sorry I got hung up here. Headed your way now." Relief washed over me and I went to get ready. I hopped out of the shower and heard the door shut. "Hey, just give me five minutes and I'll be ready." He didn't say anything so I wasn't sure he heard me. 

"Adam?" I wrapped the towel around me and headed for the bedroom where I assumed he was. As I got closer, all the lights were off in the apartment and candles led the way to the bedroom. Was he planning something romantic before we went to my dads? Kind of a strange time for that. I heard rustling around in the bedroom and tiptoed there, sure not to ruin the surprise. Just then I got a text from Adam. "Sorry, stuck in traffic. Be there as soon as I can." My heart started beating fast and my stomach dropped. I tiptoed back to the bathroom in hopes he didn't hear me. I knew exactly who was messing around in my bedroom. I knew he would come for me sooner or later. I put my old clothes back on and texted Adam back quick. Sure not to make too much noise. "Adam, please hurry. Jake is in the apartment and I'm not sure how long I can make him think I'm no longer in the shower." Just as I was about to hit send everything went dark. 

I woke up handcuffed to my bed and half naked. At least this time he had the decency to leave lingerie on me. I shook at the cuffs but who was I kidding, I wasn't getting out of those anytime soon. I looked around the room in panic, looking for him. I noticed pictures of me covered every surface. Pictures of me getting coffee, going to the studio, the gym, you name it. He had been following me too since he got out of jail. Just then he entered the room shirtless and with a knife. I started wiggling around trying to break free. Instincts I guess. "Shhh, baby it's ok. I told you I'd come back for you. Nobody can keep me from you. Not even that idiot Adam. I am the only one who can take care of your needs." 

He was absolutely insane. I wondered if my message even went through to Adam, thankfully I knew he would be here soon. "Oh and I saw the little text you were sending to Adam. I decided to change it for you." He started reading the text that was actually sent to Adam. "No problem honey, I'm going to go ahead and head down there myself. I need some time alone with my dad to talk things out. Meet at your place later?" He laughed a horrible laugh and threw the phone across the room. I heard a loud crack. Just then I caught a glimpse of Adam in the doorway. He hid behind the frame with a baseball bat. I tried pretending like I didn't see him but I think I was just too freaked out. Jake whipped around and Adam cracked him on the side of the head.