Chapter 18

The next day I felt like I had been run over by a truck. A Mac truck at that. I had missed calls from Sarah and a voicemail. "Grace, call me. Where are you? You just disappeared. That guy was such a creep at the club. Just call me." Oh if you only knew. I sort of felt bad for her because Jake had told me he sent distractions for her and she always falls for anything with a six pack and facial hair.

I decided it was time to call her back and let her know what happened. After the second ring she answered in a panic. "Grace? Are you ok? Where are you?" I took a deep breath and told her everything that happened. "Oh my freaking gosh. Are you serious? Wow, I just I can't believe it! I had no idea he was such a creep. I'm so glad you're okay and I'm so sorry I wasn't there. Forgive me?"

Ten minutes later I finally got off the phone with Sarah and headed for the kitchen. Where Adam was nowhere to be found. Panic started to well in my chest as I searched for him in the bathroom. Nothing. I shakily started to dial when I heard the door open. I dropped my phone thinking it was Jake here to kidnap me again. Adam walked in with coffee and a bag from my favorite coffee house. He scanned my face and sat down the food immediately.

"Hey, hey. What's wrong? You okay?" He sat me down on the couch and handed me my coffee. "Y-yeah, sorry. I just didn't see you here and I panicked a little. Pathetic, I know." I laughed a little and tried to drink my coffee. "It is not pathetic. I didn't want to wake you so l snuck out. I'm sorry, I should've known better. But hey, I'm not going anywhere." He embraced me in his strong arms and I didn't want to be anywhere else. "I think I'm going to contact the detective. I need to know what my next steps are. I know Jake won't be behind bars forever and I need to know what that means for me. Will I need to relocate? I would just feel better if I had answers." He shook his head and hugged me again. "I understand your need for answers. Just be ready for whatever they are. Even if it scares you." 

I grabbed the dirty napkin off my nightstand that the detective had wrote her number on. "Hi, detective Garcia? This is Grace Peterson. Look, I need to talk about some things. I have questions and I know you do too. Call me back as soon as you can. Thanks." I threw the phone on the couch and paced around the living room. Adam watched me carefully as I did. I was a completely different person already. Skittish, paranoid, you name it. Something I've never been. Then again, I've never been targeted by a serial psycho. "Alright, that's it. We're not going to sit in this apartment and drive ourselves crazy waiting for the detective to call back. Let's take a drive. Countryside sound good to you?" He wiggled his eyebrows and a small smile peaked at the corners of my mouth. "That sounds amazing but we shouldn't go too far. In case she needs me to come in asap for questioning." He raised his hand and puffed out his chest. "Scouts honor."

Ten minutes later we reached the countryside and I felt my soul getting better already. The sun kissed my skin while the wind whipped through my hair. It was such a beautiful day and I almost forgot I had been kidnapped 24 hours ago. Just then my phone rang. It was detective Garcia. Back to reality. "Grace, hi I received your message. You down to come to the station today? I'll be here for another couple hours." I agreed and we started to head back to the city. I could feel the butterflies moving around in my stomach and my anxiety heightened. I assumed Adam could tell because he grabbed my hand and squeezed it tight. "It's ok babe, just tell them what you remember and nothing else. Don't push yourself. And whatever they have to say about Jake's release, we will deal with it head on. Together."

When we arrived at the station I took a deep breath before heading inside. "Detective Garcia, please." The older lady nodded her head towards the back where glass enclosed three offices. I saw her pacing around her small corner office waving her hands in the air. I noticed the other detective from the scene she was apparently yelling at. We slowly walked back to her office and she waved us in. I sat adjacent from her and the other detective left awkwardly. "Thanks for coming in. I have some news about Jake and I just want you to brace yourself okay? You've been through a lot in the past 24 hours but I want you to know we will keep you safe no matter what." My stomach dropped. I knew exactly what she was going to say and I felt dizzy.