Chapter 3

My hands shook as I dialed the number from the business card. I must have contemplated hanging up on every ring. "Jake O'Leary." I recognized his accent as soon as he spoke. "Um hi, yeah this is Grace Peterson. From yesterday, the girl you saw in the cafe." I let out a nervous laugh. "Oh wow, yeah hi! I was wondering if I would hear from you."
My stomach dropped as he spoke, I clung to every word. What was wrong with me? I seriously lacked in the hot guy department. "Yeah look, I'm not sure what you expect me to do but I'm staying with my friend in the city.." he cleared his throat and gave me the address to his recording studio. He asked me to come by around 4 and let his friends hear a song or two of mine. 

My stomach dropped but I agreed. I can't keep letting fear stop me from pursuing my dreams. I just hoped this guy was legit. Of course I've watched too many murder documentaries with Sarah and all the possible scenarios ran through my head. I could be abducted, raped, held in a cage, murdered. You know, the usual. I was so tempted to call my dad and tell him the good news but then I remembered our huge fight. How he looked at me like he had disowned me. I will never forget that look, it's burned into my memory forever. 

"So.. I called. He wants me to come by around 4pm and sing a couple songs. Could you go with me? I'm so nervous!" Sarah's eyes beamed with excitement then she looked down. "Damn I wish i could, I promised my dad I'd go to aspen with him this weekend. We're leaving in an hour. I'm so sorry! But I know you will crush it!" My stomach jumped five different ways thinking of going alone. I've never done anything like this, so out of my comfort zone. 

Four O clock came too soon and I began my walk to the studio. It was about 3 blocks from Sarah's apartment so not too bad. It gave me plenty of time to think about what songs to sing and how I would manage to not pass out. As I approached the building there was a huge music note that made up the door handles. Okay, so far so good. I opened the big doors and walked into a lobby with an emerald desk and glass chairs. Glass chairs? 

"Hi, I'm here to see Jake O'Leary." The squeaky woman at the front desk had on a slinky silver dress and way too much eye makeup. "Just a sec, have a seat." She waved towards the glass chairs and I debated on standing instead. Moments later Jake was walking towards me looking seriously amazing. He had on black sleek jeans, a green v neck and black converse. His muscles tore through the sleeves. "Grace! I'm so glad you could make it. Come right this way." I had settled on a yellow sundress and white converse, I felt so underdressed. This place was sleek and modern. I was so not. 

I smiled nervously while he led me down a hallway with famous singers and awards on the walls. I felt like I was way in over my head. "Fellas, this is Grace the woman I was telling you about." They all sort of looked like him. Causal clothes, tattoos, piercings. "Welcome Grace. What will you be singing for us today?" I fidgeted my fingers before I answered. "Um well, I wanted to try a couple different genres if that's cool. Lauren Daigle: You Say is my first choice. Then I would like to switch gears and sing Hello by Adele." 

  They all gave me a blank look and I wanted to high tail it out of there. At last Jake spoke up. "Sounds great. Whenever you're ready, just go in the booth and put those headphones on." I walked inside and sat on the small stool with a microphone attached to headphones. I couldn't believe this was actually happening. Sweat poured down the back of my neck and I wiped my palms on my dress. "Alright Grace, you're all set." Jake threw me a thumbs up and smiled.
  Ok Grace, you're at the cafe singing to Lydia and Sarah. Just close your eyes and get lost. You're just doing what you love. I closed my eyes as the music began and when I opened them it was over. They all stared at me for a few seconds and I knew I blew it. Finally, one of the men stood up. "Grace, that was unlike anything I've ever heard. Have you ever written your own songs?" Only 50 of them in my tiny journal at home. "Yes actually I have. Several." I decided to go with instead of sounding like a small child. 

  "Do you care to sing a couple for us? I think you have amazing potential." I couldn't believe it, they actually liked my voice. The songs I've wrote were mostly just me goofing off but they really liked my voice so I know I needed to dig deep to find the best one. "Erm, sure. This one is called if walls could talk." The most recent song I wrote, rough around the edges but good enough. When the song was over they were all quite again. This was getting old. I could see them conversing between each other and finally Jake broke the silence. "That was great Grace. I think the guys want to discuss some more things further but they are really interested. Good work." He smiled and left me to deal with the millions of thoughts running through my head.