Chapter 6

He opened the door for me as we walked into Mona Me, a local breakfast joint. I was excited because I pass by here on the way to the recording studio every morning, just haven't tried it yet. We sat down at a table near the bathrooms, this place was packed. "Nice choice, I've been dying to try it!" I smiled and looked over the menu, my stomach growling for anything. "Yeah it's pretty good. I eat here every Saturday morning." He smiled while staring straight at me. Like he was looking into my soul. I looked back down at my menu trying not to pass out.

"Hey there, I'm Libby and I'll be taking care of you this morning. What can I get you?" I ended up ordering French toast and hash browns because I really was craving it. Jake ordered a breakfast sandwich and some kind of coffee. "So when do you have to leave?" I didn't want to ruin the mood but a small feeling of sadness washed over me as he looked at me. His eyes looked so pained. "4 days. I have to get everything straightened out with the studio here so I can still work while I'm back home. Don't worry though, I'll still be working with the guys on getting you signed and managing you."

He winked at me and drank more of his coffee. "Ha ha. Wow that's so soon, I was hoping for at least a week more with you." I don't know what this man did to me but I was so shy around him, I wasn't even sure what to say half the time. It's like my brain shut off. "Oh yeah? You going to miss me that bad huh?" He gave me the evil grin again and winked. How is it that everything he did was perfect. I grinned and rolled my eyes taking another bite of my amazing food.

"Look about that kiss. I'm sorry if I was too forward. I guess I was caught up in the moment with things about my mum and when you touched me.. I just haven't been shown affection in so long, by anyone. I'm not saying I didn't like it or that I'm not attracted to you because I am. I just don't want you to get the wrong idea of me. I'm definitely not rushing you or pushing you into anything. But I'd be lying if I said that kiss didn't ignite every single bone in my body. Grace, I don't know what it is about you but you drive me wild. In a good way of course, but wild nonetheless."

  My insides were on fire and everything in that moment made me want to jump across the table and kiss him again. I was beginning to feel strong feelings for this guy and I've only known him for a month. "Jake, it's fine. I would be lying if I said I didn't like it. Obviously yes, I want to take things slow. But I don't mind you kissing me." I smiled and kept my eyes glued to his. The first time I ever felt confident in something I said to him. He flashed me that million dollar smile and asked for the check. When we got out to his car he leaned across the center console and put his hand on my cheek.

  "I'm glad you said that." When his lips touched mine I swear it was like fireworks going off in my body. Is this how kissing felt all the time? Or was it just with Jake. Either way, I was in. After he dropped me off back at Sarah's I locked myself in the guest bedroom and began writing songs. The label told me I had to come up with 3 songs by next week before they would even sign me and I had come up with nothing so far. I guess all that kissing from Jake had inspired me. After I wrote a couple songs I looked at the clock and it was already 1am. My shift at the cafe started at 7 so I needed to get some shut eye.

  The next morning my alarm went off at 6:30 and I groaned. Definitely not enough sleep. I started to think about my dad as I was getting ready. It had been 2 months since I left and haven't heard from him since. I thought at least he would respond to the few text messages I sent him about writing new songs and being okay, but nothing. I wondered if I would see him at the cafe today. It had been my first shift in a week. I decided to only do one shift a week since I had much more going on with my music. The label was giving me so much work to do, I was exhausted.

  I still needed to talk to Sarah about moving out, i just couldn't find the right time. She was so excited about me staying with her but my new apartment was literally across the street from the studio. When I walked in the cafe Lydia gave me a small smile and continued working. There was something definitely off by the way she was acting but I was already five minutes late. I hurried to the back where Sarah was getting her apron on. "Hey! What's wrong with Lydia? She seemed weird." she gave me a weak smile and kept keeping herself busy. "Your dad came in about ten minutes ago. He looked distraught Grace. He had bags under his eyes like he hadn't slept in who knows how long and he kept asking where you were. She told him you came in soon and he should wait for you. He got his coffee to go and left without waiting. He seemed so anxious about something. Have you spoke to him?" I could feel tears forming at the pit of my eyes but I held them back. "No. I've tried to call him and left him numerous texts but he never responds. I don't know what to do Sarah." 

  She put a sympathetic hand on my shoulder. "Alright, get out of here." I looked at her confused. "You need to go see him. There has to be a reason he looked the way he did and he had such a sense of urgency to speak to you. Just go, I'll deal with Lydia." I gave her a hug and disappeared out the back door. I didn't know what was wrong with my dad I just knew I had to get to his house.