Chapter 23

I finished moving the rest of our smaller things into the U Haul the next morning and we were set to go. I can't believe the day was finally here. I was moving to another city with my boyfriend. Even though we weren't in the same apartment, we would be right across the hall from each other and it was still a new city. I was too excited. "Ok, so I have road trip snacks and a new playlist titled road trip. You ready?" He smiled and hobbled over to me. His physical therapy had been going well and he didn't need the crutches anymore. I knew he would heal fast, or I had hoped for it. He kissed me and grabbed the keys. I did one last look around the empty apartment for anything I could've missed. Nothing. We were officially ready to go. 

I dropped the keys off at the front desk and chatted with the manager for a few minutes. He had always been so nice to me and helped me a lot when I first lived alone. Adam impatiently honked the horn and I ran outside. We decided to leave my car here and come back for it in the morning. I didn't want to drive alone and we needed to unpack the U Haul before we did anything else. When we arrived at the apartment complex there were balloons and a bottle of Champagne at my door. A small note attached let me know it was from Sarah. She sent over the bottle and some strawberries to welcome us to our new chapter. She also said she would be over as much as possible. I smiled and opened the door. 

A few hours later we finally got the U Haul unpacked with some help from our new neighbors. Anna and Wes lived a couple apartments down from us and seemed super cool. They were around my age and went to university near the apartments. We talked for a bit and Anna and I exchanged numbers. As well as Instagram handles of course. It was dark when we finally settled on my couch since it was the only one that came in today. Adam hobbled over to the TV to get my Roku set up. Thank goodness for his smarts because I had no clue how to set that stuff up. We made it about twenty minutes into a random movie he picked and we were both out. 

The next several weeks were filled with time at the studio, exploring downtown and spending as much time as possible together. My label was finally produced and released six months later and things were really falling into place. I could feel mine and Adam's relationship getting more seriously and we were moving at a great pace. Sarah came by almost every other weekend and spent time with me. It was also nice to see my dad more and Colleen was to thank for that. She made him get out more and see the world. I think they had already been to two different countries and six cities. Yeah, things were good. Almost too good. I tried to make myself stop having the same anxiety I have had for the past eight months. 

I knew Jake was still in the mental facility but I could feel myself always looking over my shoulder no matter where I went. Especially if I was alone. Which I made myself do more often so I could prove that I was strong. Truth is, I was still scared. I kept waiting for a phone call letting me know Jake somehow escaped and was on a mission to find me. It sounds silly I know but I couldn't help myself. I was mentally not okay but somehow exuded it on the outside. Sometimes I would catch Adam staring intensely at me when I would zone out. I know he could tell what was going on in my mind but I would change the subject too fast. I wasn't ready to accept that I was still not okay. I needed to be stronger. For me and him. 

Things started to slow down a little once my album was released and I was waiting on tour dates. I still couldn't believe I did it. I made it here. It might've started with Jake's help but in the end I did this. Adam headed out for some ice cream and I opted to stay in and paint my toes. Self care was something I struggled with on the daily and my poor toes were brutal. Just as I was about to start my phone buzzed. The mental facility lit up my phone and I froze. My stomach hit the floor and I dropped nail polish all over my new shag rug. I couldn't move though, I knew exactly what this phone call was. I had been waiting for it, preparing myself for it. I slowly raised the phone to my ear and with a shaky voice I answered. 

"Hi is this Grace Peterson? This is Michelle from San Jose mental facility. I don't want to freak you out but I am legally required to let you know Jake O'Leary escaped this morning around 10 am. I think it's best if you are somewhere he doesn't know and with people that can keep you safe. Do you understand?" It's like I could hear her but I couldn't move my mouth. Everything was frozen. I dropped the phone and heard a knock at the door. No way, there's no way he knows where I am. I somehow managed to get to my feet and move towards the door. My legs felt like jello. I peaked through the peephole and saw nothing. I knew well enough from scary movies that it was not a good idea to answer the door late at night alone. Especially if nobody was there. 

I ran to the kitchen and grabbed a knife before heading back to the door. I opened it carefully and saw a note on my welcome mat. I grabbed it quickly and slammed the door. "Grace, I know notes are so old school but I didn't want to bother you. Wes and I are having a little get together tomorrow night at our place. We would love it if you and Adam could join! XOXO, Anna." I started to laugh a little at how extra I was being. Of course Jake doesn't know where I live. How could he? He hasn't had any contact with the outside world in so long and there is nobody who would tell him. I locked the door back and decided to take a bath. The adrenaline pumping through my veins wiped me out. 

I must've fell asleep because I woke up to the door closing and jumped. "Adam? Hey sorry I must've fallen asleep in the bath. Did you get me rocky road?" I jumped out of the bath and wrapped a towel around me. I headed for the kitchen but slowed down when I noticed the apartment was dark and there were candles lit. Rose petals lined my path and a sense of deja vu ran up my spine. Please no, don't let it be. I walked a little slower and turned the corner. In only white linen pants, sat Jake on my couch. He was humming to the song playing and smiling. He looked so different. Huge tattoos covered the surfaces of his arms and chest. His muscles bulging. I was terrified. I couldn't move. He looked over at me and smiled while standing up slowly. He popped his neck and started to walk towards me. Move Grace, move your damn legs. 

I stumbled backwards and he grabbed my waist. "I'm home baby."