You. [Sadie X Lars]

This is for pen_against_paper, since she told me how much she loved Lars and Sadie!! It's sorta slow to start, but I wanted to focus more on storyline than anything. *shrug* I hope you like it, darling! MWAH~

---

Sadie was halfway to the shop when she heard the familiar sound of Lars being a nerd behind her. He was making noises along to his dubstep that was so loud you could clearly hear it at least three feet away from him. She chuckled and stopped for a second, waiting for Lars to catch up.
Lars put one headphone behind his ear, nodding in greeting to Sadie. Sadie smiled. "Good morning. You're in a good mood; any reason?" She looked around. The sun had just begun to rise, and the seagulls were scavenging the boardwalk for breakfast.
"I slept good last night, that's all." He shrugged and glanced at her. She was still looking around, the pale sunlight turning her hair a golden orange and making the little freckles on her nose and cheeks wash out. He always thought her faint freckles were the cutest thing, even though she felt so embarrassed about them that she always had them covered with concealer. She wasn't that big on makeup, so she really only used it to cover up her freckles. But today, he could see them clearer than usual.
"Hey Sadie, are you wearing makeup today?"
Sadie blinked. "You noticed?"
Lars flushed slightly and shrugged silently.
"Oh, uh, yeah...I guess I didn't feel like it today." Sadie blushed and stuffed her hands in her jacket pockets. They walked the rest of the way in silence. Sadie unlocked the Big Donut and flipped the sign in the window from "SORRY WE'RE CLOSED" to "WELCOME WE'RE OPEN."
Lars flipped the light switch and got everything ready for the day. Sadie went back to the break room, plugging up her phone so it could charge and draping her jacket over the back of the chair, straightening her Big Donut employee shirt before walking to the front desk. Lars was typing away on his phone and the sun was fully risen by now, casting bright, warm autumn sun into the shop. There was one or two early walkers on the beach by now, visible through the glass front of the Big Donut. If they were lucky, maybe someone would come in for a donut or some coffee for breakfast.
"Who are you texting?" Sadie asked as she leaned over Lars shoulder. He grunted and put his hand over her face, holding his phone away so she couldn't see. Sadie was tempted to lick his hand to get him to stop but she was much more mature than that. So she bit his thumb instead. He yelped and out his hand to his chest, glaring at her weakly.
"Hey! Who does it matter anyways!" He huffed and put his phone in his pocket. "...I was just talking to Jenny."
Sadie's expression soured. Ugh. Jenny. That was the girl Lars had run off with the day he had faked a severe back injury. Sadie had gotten revenge by giving him a donut covered in fire salt, which had caused his mouth to literally catch on fire. He had run rampant through the city, leaving Sadie and Steven to put out whatever he caught on fire as they chased him. Once they had finally caught up with Lars, Sadie had reveal that she was the one who had done this to Lars because of how he had hurt her by lying to her just so he could run off with some other girl. She had apologized, as did Lars, but she still held a grudge against Jenny, even though deep down she knew Jenny hadn't done anything. It's not like she was the one who had faked an injury just to guilt trip her co-worker into letting her go home early.
"Oh," she grumbled, crossing her arms over her chest. "Jenny, huh? What does she want?"
"She asked me if I wanted to come hang out with her, Sour Cream, and Buck Dewey today." Lars muttered, averting his gaze awkwardly.
"And?"
"I said no..."
Sadie was shocked. Lars had said no to Jenny and the cool kids? Was he under the weather or something? The Lars Sadie knew would do anything to come off as cool.
"Really?" Sadie frowned with confusion, "why?"
"I told her I had to work, and that I had plans."
Sadie was just becoming more and more confused by the minute. Plans?! Is he going out with another girl now? For some reason, she felt her heart sink at the thought, but she didn't want to seem too nosy so she let it drop. Besides, she figured she didn't want to hear it anyways. Sadie sighed softly and pressed her forehead on the cool glass surface of the counter.
The door opened and the bell chimed, breaking the awkward silence between them. Sadie straightened up be smiled sweetly at Mr. Smiley.
"Good morning, Mr.Smiley."
"Hello. Give me...a plain glazed donut and a large coffee. Gotta get my caffeine so I can keep up with the arcade today." He grinned.
Sadie nodded and got the donut, putting it in a brown paper bag and getting his coffee. She waved goodbye and then went back to moping.
After a few minutes, she went back to the break room to check her phone. She wasn't really expecting anyone to call or text--no one really did anyways--she just wanted to be away from Lars for a second, so she could compose herself. Ever since that night they played video games together, she just can't stop thinking about him. His rare smile, his triumphant shout whenever he made a headshot in that dumb game, the way he had gone so far as to tidy up and get a box of oyster crackers for her when she had come over...
Though Lars was kind of an asshole, Sadie was convinced that under that cool kid exterior, he was actually a sensitive, sweet guy.
She unplugged her phone and walked back to the desk. She saw Lars texting again and huffed quietly, stomping over to the coffee maker and pouring herself a cup. She liked her coffee straight up, with the occasional single sugar packet. Sadie snatched a strawberry iced donut with sprinkles from the display in the counter and settled at the only indoors table in the Big Donut.
As she ate her breakfast, Lars kept casting nervous glances her way. Sadie pretended like she didn't notice anything, but really it bothered her a lot. She kept wondering why he was giving her those looks and who he had plans with and why he was still talking to Jenny and why he was such a jerk sometimes and--
"S-Sadie?"
Steven's voice shook her out of her reverie. She looked up, blinking unexpected tears from her eyes.
"Are...you okay?" Steven was watching her with a concerned expression, one hand on her shoulder. "Where's Lars?"
Sadie looked up, and sighed. He had disappeared, probably to take a morning nap in the break room. He always left all the work for her...
She nodded silently, wiping her eyes. "Do you wanna talk about it?" Steven asked, sitting in the chair across from her and putting on his most serious expression. "I'm here to listen!"
Sadie giggled quietly, her heart warming. Steven was a good friend, and he was pretty cool for someone a few years younger than him. He was always so goofy and caring, like now.
"Heh, thanks Steven. But I don't think now is the best time to talk about it. Besides, I don't really think you would understand." She shrugged, "It's girl stuff."
"Oh." Steven relaxed. "Okay. Well. If you change your mind we can talk about it whenever you want." He paused and looked away sheepishly. "Uh...can I have a donut now?"
Sadie laughed and stood, ruffling his hair. "Yeah, whatcha want?" She padded over to the donuts, feeling a lot better now. Steven was just the distraction she needed.
"Two chocolate donuts and a cup of sprinkles!" He kicked his feet childishly, already drooling at the though of donuts. Sadie got what he wanted and put his money in the register.
"So, got any plans for today?" She inquired, trying for small talk. Sadie went and sat back down so she could finish her breakfast.
"I dunno!" He said with a mouthful of donut, "No ones said anything yet. And Connie has tennis practice, so I think I'll go hang out with my dad for today."
"Aw, that sounds fun. I'm sure he'll be glad you're with him." Sadie nodded to herself and threw away her empty coffee cup and napkins. She sat back down at the table, figuring she had enough time to chat a little longer before another customer came it.
Steven and Sadie talked idly for a while longer until he headed off to see Greg. Sadie yawned and went to go see where Lars was. Sure enough, he was in the break room, but he was sleeping this time. He was sitting at the little plastic round table, his head in his hands and his fluffy mohawk messy, presumably from him running his fingers through it.
Sadie grimaced and stepped closer. "Lars?" She whispered hesitantly.
Lars startled, yelping softly and jumping in his chair. "S-Sadie!" He hastily scrubbed the back of his hand under his eyes. "Don't sneak up on me like that! God, what the hell?" He sounded annoyed, but for some reason his voice was shaking. Sadie glared at him as he pushed past her and left the break room. What the hell was his problem? Disappearing mysteriously and then getting irritated when she came to check on him?
"Ugh!" Sadie rolled her eyes and huffed. Something was bothering Lars, and that bothered Sadie. But Lars never told her anything, and he never let him help her. He was so frustrating! Why couldn't he just open up a little bit?! They had been friends for a long time, and they had been through a lot together. Plus there was that time were Lars had kissed her on the island...but they never spoke about that, because it had gotten awkward when Lars had become furious when he discovered that Sadie had hidden the warp pad, forcing him to stay in the island whether he liked it it or not.
Sadie groaned and stormed back to the counter, ignoring Lars studiously. The next two hours passed uncomfortably. The only time either of them spoke was when a customer came in.
At last, Sadie just couldn't handle it anymore. She was so pent up today, frustrated and confused and upset. And staying in the Big Donut with Lars, the source of most of her conflict, two feet away from her wasn't really helping anything.
"I'm checking out early today." Sadie announced, glancing at him. He flinched as she spoke, but kept silent. "Do you mind keeping up shop for a few hours by yourself?"
"Uh, yeah...sure. No problem." He lowered his head and waved a hand. "See ya."
"Yeah." She clocked out and left without another word. Outside, the sun was high in the sky. She checked her phone for the time. 12:19 PM.
Sadie sighed softly, kicking a rock as she wandered down the boardwalk. She knew she should probably at least stop by her house to change out of her work shirt, but she really needed to go for a walk right now.
A chilly autumn breeze swept over her, and Sadie shivered, wrapping her arms around herself. "Aw, dammit..." She groaned. She just realized she had left her jacket AND her phone charger at the Big Donut. "No way I'm going back there right now..." She muttered to herself.
She kept walking for a little bit, trying to keep out of the shade in hopes that the sun would warm her up. As she walked, she tried to work things out in her head.
By now, she had accepted that she liked Lars. The kind of like that's a little more than friends. She hadn't really liked anyone this way before. Well, she had gone through a little middle school fling in 8th grade but it was with some jerk and it was only because of a dare. That had only lasted for a week or two before they eventually just stopped talking. There wasn't even a totally official break up. Although honestly he wasn't worth it.
But she was a sophomore in high school now, and she sort of wanted a boyfriend. Not so she could brag, but so she could have someone to rely on, someone to hold, someone to kiss.
And sure, Lars and kissed her on that dumb island. But Sadie was sure he regretted it. She was convinced that even if Lars did have feelings her for, she would never know and they would just stay friends forever.
Which was fine. Being friends was better than nothing, right? Besides, she had only just realized she liked him in that way a few months ago. Maybe her feelings would fade.
The sound of someone running behind her broke her train of thought. She turned around and saw Lars coming her way. Her jacket was in his hand. She huffed and blushed, crossing her arms over her chest.
He reached her at last and held out her jacket breathlessly. Sadie snatched it from him. "Thanks." She mumbled gruffly.
"Y-Your," he wheezed, "charger is in the--hhhh--pocket..." Lars coughed and braced his hands on his knees, trying to catch his breath. Sadie's expression softened a bit, and she even reached out to pat his back.
"Sadie," he took a deep breath, having finally calmed down. Now that the dilemma was past, Sadie remembered that Lars had been upset about something earlier. He looked fine now, if a little tired, but she still wondered.
"I wanted to see if you'd come with me to Sour Cream's rave party tonight. Everyone's coming; its just an autumn get together, before winter starts and it gets too cold, y'know?" Lars shuffled his feet, putting his hands in his pockets.
Sadie had heard something about the party yesterday. It was supposed to be super big, with actual snacks for once and free glow sticks (As always. There were free glow sticks every time.) It was going to be at the usual place, the abandoned stone building that also served as the nighttime wrestling arena occasionally.
Sadie wasn't much of a party-goer. She would much rather do something productive than rub elbows with sweaty, dancing teenagers who she only ever saw during school. But she liked Lars, and they hadn't hung out in a while...
"I guess. What time?"
Lars looked surprised that she had said yes, but he quickly recovered. "It starts at nine. I'll pick you up."
Sadie shrugged. "Alright. See you then, I guess." Sadie waved goodbye and headed home, leaving Lars alone on the boardwalk.
She spent her afternoon reading and finishing up some homework due Monday. Around eight, she put on her concealer to hide her freckles and changed into a mint skirt and a plain cream colored button up blouse with no sleeves and a rounded collar with red flats. It usually got hot during rave, what with everyone so tightly packed in one place, so she didn't bother getting a jacket.
There was a knock on her door. Sadie left her phone behind, figuring she wouldn't need it anyways, and opened the door. Lars stood there, wearing glow in the dark star shaped plugs and his usual ripped jeans. His long sleeved undershirt was an off-white and his short sleeved over shirt was pale red with two cerulean and cream stripes on the chest.
"Um...you ready to go?" He asked, looking her over. Sadie nodded and stepped out, locking up behind her. Without a word, they headed for the party.
It was pretty cold, but she knew she would warm up when they got there. Lars kept looking at her though.
Finally, she spoke. "Take a picture Lars, it'll last longer." Sadie teased with a faint smile. "I know I don't wear skirts often, but you've seen legs before." She was in a better mood by now, which was good. She didn't want to be grumpy during the rave.
"You covered up your freckles," he mumbled, sounding pretty disappointed.
Sadie put a hand to her cheek, "Yeah..."
Lars changed the subject.
"How long do you want to stay?"
"I dunno. Not too long though. 12 at the latest." Sadie shrugged, "But if you want to stay longer you can. I can walk home myself."
"No, no, that's fine."
"Alright."
There was silence again. But this time it wasn't awkward. Sadie smiled. Maybe tonight might actually be enjoyable. It had been a while since they had hung out together on their own time, so she was looking forward to it at least.
Lars cleared his throat. "Hey, Sadie?"
"Hmm?"
"Are you angry at me?"
"What?" Sadie turned her head and frowned. "Why do you think that?"
Lars ran a hand through his curly Mohawk. "Well, you just seemed kinda angry when I was telling you about Jenny."
"Oh. No, I'm not angry." She shook her head and smiled reassuringly.
He hesitated. "...were you jealous?"
Sadie blushed brightly. She was glad it was dark. "J-Jealous? Ha, no way..."
Lars looked fairly disappointed at this. "Oh...okay..." He paused again before mumbling, "Sadie?"
"What, are we playing 20 Questions now?" She teased, punching him in the arm lightly and giggling.
Lars laughed a bit. "Hah, no, I just wanted to ask you one last thing..."
"What is it?"
"Do you, uh...like anyone? Like, like-like anyone?"
Sadie blushed again, this time even her ears flushing pink. "What about you? Do YOU like anyone?"
"I won't say until you do." He dodged.
"No, you first."
"Aw come on, P2, I asked first."
"How about...we say at the same time?" Sadie compromised. By now they were both equally red.
"O-Okay..."
"On 3. 1, 2, 3..."
She took a deep breath and spoke simultaneously with Lars.

"You."

Lars blinked.
Sadie blinked.
They both stopped mid step and blinked at each other for a moment before Sadie looked away hastily and Lars covered his face with his hand.
"How long?" Lars muttered at last.
"A while. But I figured you were aiming for Jenny."
Lars shook his head instantly, dropping his hands by his side. "No way! Jenny's cool I guess...but--"
Sadie interrupted him, grabbing his wrist and pulling him down. She kissed him hard and he put his arms around her tightly. Sadie grunted when she felt his hands on her back, holding her close to him until there was a mere inch between them.
When Sadie drew back breathlessly, she managed to whisper, "That's for kissing me on the island, you jerk."
Lars huffed and rolled his eyes. "Oh, whatever."
Sadie smiled and laced their fingers together. "So what now?"
"Whatever you want.."
Sadie inhaled deeply and then exhaled with a laugh. "Lars, you wanna go out with me?"
"I thought you'd never ask." He smirked.
"Hey!" She slapped his arm playfully, "That's my line!"
Lars chuckled and pecked her on the lips lightly. "Sadie?"
"What?"
"You wanna ditch the party? We never finished that game...player two."
Sadie grinned and nodded. "Only if you let me pick the first map."
"Deal."