Maintenance of the Heart [Lapis X Peridot]

My friend Trishia_D helped me come up with an idea for this one. Please go check her out! :)
sorry it's been so long since I've updated, I've been super busy and stuck, and I also worked on my new JohnDave story. If you're Homestuck trash--like me--and you haven't checked it out, please go give it a look! 030 also, sorry there's not a super cute chapter cover this time. I've been drawing tEN drA wINGS A DAYY for the past wwwweeeekkk so I'm taking a break. Have this old peri doodle instead :D

---

"Peri?" Lapis called as she spun around in a floating chair. Peridot's ship had alot of those. In fact, everything seemed to be floating on this vessel. It was odd, but at least sometimes it provided some entertainment, like now.
When Peridot didn't answer, Lapis ceased spinning and took a deep breath. "PERIDOT!" She screeched.
There was the sound of something falling and then Peridot cursing loudly. "Oh my God, Lapis, you scared me!" Lapis giggled, turning the chair to face the hallway Peridot's voice had come from. "What do you need?" Peridot called back.
Lapis shrugged, even though Peridot couldn't see. "I dunno. What are you doing?" She hopped down from the chair and fluffed out her skirt before padding to the hallway. She found Peridot delved deep into the paneling of the ship wall, her rear in the air and a few of her fingers hovering beside her with tools.
Peridot tried to back out of the cavity to see Lapis, but bumped her head on accident. "I'm-oof!" She winced and straightened. Peridot fixed her visor and blinked at Lapis. "I'm trying to fix a few beams in here. A central pipe broke and the super blast of air from the split pipe shot some supportive beams out of place. If I don't fix them, it will cause problems later on."
Lapis nodded slowly. "Ohh. Okay," She smiled. "You need some help?"
Peridot shook her head and turned back to the hole she had opened up. "No, I've got this." She waved a fingerless hand and Lapis shrugged.
"If you say so. I'm gonna go play with your robonoids." Lapis waved goodbye, though Peridot wasn't even paying attention anymore. But lapis didn't mind; she was just happy to be with Peridot at all. She padded down the hall in search of any stray robonoids. Peridot let them wander the ship when she didn't need them, and the smaller ones, the flask robonoids, typically stuck to the main level of the ship. The large ones, plug robonoids, liked the stay in the lower levels of the ship, as it was roomier down there.
Lapis yelped as she tripped over a flask robonoid and caught herself on the floor to ceiling window beside her. She knelt down to pick up the little ball creature, tossing it up in the air and giggling when it made cute little unique noises. She played with one of its floating legs that much resembled Peridot's fingers. After a while though it started to become bored of her teasing and became unresponsive.
This was no fun, so Lapis set it down and pat it gently, sending it back on its way. She sighed and turned, leaning against the glass. Her nose pressed on the window and her hair fluffed up against the surface as well. She placed her hand on the glass, and her watery wings fluttered faintly, flicking water droplets in the process. Peridot hated how she always left a trail of wing water where she went, so Lapis usually kept her wings contained when she was around Peridot.
Lapis stared outside silently, watching the stars as the ship crawled through space at an achingly slow speed. Ain't Peridot didn't exactly have a set destination in mind, she was just letting the ship wander on its own practically. Lapis hated it. She wanted to go somewhere--anywhere. Lapis Lazuli hated being still or too slow. It was too much like being trapped, and there was nothing more Lapis disliked than being trapped.
But the stars outside were beautiful, and she was with Peridot, so it wasn't so bad. Still, Lapis sighed softly and unhitched herself from the window. She wiped the smudges off the glass with the edge of her skirt before heading back to the hallway Peridot had been in.
Silly Peri, Lapis thought, always running maintenance. I swear, one day she's going to become maintenance herself!
Lapis smiled to herself at her little internal jest, but frowned when Peridot wasn't where she was before. The hole in the wall was closed up and the tools were gone, as well as the green gem Lapis was searching for. "Peridot?" She called, looking around.
"In here!" Peridot responded. Lapis followed the voice and found Peridot back in the main room, tinkering with one of the dashboards that controlled the ship. Peridot rarely used the dashboards, though, since she could mostly control every aspect of her ship as well as a ton of other things with that little semi-transparent window she pulled up constantly.
Lapis padded over and hopped into the floating swivel chair behind Peridot. She spun around for a bit until she stopped to speak. "What are you fixing this time?"
"Just checking on some of the ships wiring. I haven't used these boards in so long, so I was just making sure..."
"Can I help this time?"
"I don't really--" Peridot hesitates and stood, wiping her brow. "Sure." She turned to face Lapis, smiling, "If you really want to, you can give it a try."
Lapis lit up with joy at the thought of being able to assist her grumpy Peridot. "Whoo!" She jumped out of the chair and flounced over to Peridot. Lapis examined the dashboard that Peridot had pulled out of place, letting it hang loose off the side of the dash from some thick bundles of multi colored wires. Peridot stood beside her with her hands on her hips, and all of her fingers hovering around her holding various tools.
Lapis glanced at Peridot, "Okay, what first?"
Peridot chuckled and leaned over, pointing with her stub arm. "See that blue wire?"
"Peri, there's, like, twenty blue wires,"
Peridot rolled her eyes and clarified quickly. "No, the blue wire beside those black cords."
Lapis blinked and peered closer. "Oh!" She grabbed the thin wire, pinching it between her thumb and pointer. "This one?"
"Yes," Peridot nodded, "Now take it and put it together with that green and yellow one."
Lapis set her jaw determinedly and nodded. She stepped closer and leaned over, squinting as she took the blue wire and twined the little metal hairs together with the metal filaments of a green and yellow striped wire. Nothing happened whatsoever. Lapis glanced at Peridot, wondering if she had done it right.
Peridot smiled patiently and moved closer. She reached around peridot, her arms hugging her middle, and some fingers returned to her stub. Lapis blushed profusely, feeling Peridot's arms around her and her body pressed against hers. Trying to look like she was totally unaffected by this simple contact, a Lapis pursed her lips and attempted to pay attention while Peridot twined the filament together. A spark arose when they connected just right and one of Peridot's fingers glided over with a roll of electrical tape hooked around it. Lapis tore off a piece of tape and wrapped it around the two joined wires for Peridot, who thanked her and then began to put the dashboard back in place.
It seemed liked Peridot wasn't even fazed by the way she had her arms around Lapis, which made Lapis even more flustered. She worried at the lacy hem of her skirt as Peridot screwed on the bolts that held the board together and stepped back. The instant Peridot's pressure was gone, Lapis released a long breath that she didn't realize she had been holding.
Peridot gave her a look, one eyebrow raised, "Something wrong, Lapis?"
Lapis shook her head quickly, her fists full of the fabric of her skirt tightening. Her face was hot and she didn't want Peridot to see, so she abruptly wrapped her arms around her, still holding bunches of her skirt, and squeezed her tight. Peridot grunted, raising a hand to pat her head awkwardly. Neither of them said anything as Lapis leaned up on her tippy toes and kissed Peridot before running off with her head down. Peridot blinked and pressed a finger to her lips, smiling faintly.