Mumbles and Whispers [Sadie X Lars]

I spent way of much time on the chapter cover :/
But woah where the heck did these feels come from??? ;n;
I think I maybe just broke my own heart a little bit 030

Oops

---

The waves were slow as they lapped at the shore. Their crashing was muted and their rumbling gentle. The light from the full moon hit each wave and illuminated the brine beautifully. It was a brilliant night at Beach City, and a night Sadie would never forget.
She was curled up by Lars, her toes buried in the sand. The gritty stuff bothered her when it got into her shoes, but she was too content to really care. Her jacket was pulled tight, and her hoodie was drawn, making her fluffy blonde locks gather in puffs around her plump cheeks. Sadie had no makeup on tonight, but her faint freckles were washed out in the moonlight.
Lars had one arm around her, and his knees drawn to his chest. He had these cute gauges that looked like little strawberry iced donuts. They were a gift from Sadie, although Sadie couldn't quite recall when she had given them to him for some odd reason. Lars had his other arm reached across his body, holding onto Sadie's hand. He turned his head to smile at her, flashing crooked, chipped teeth. Sadie laughed. She loved his imperfect perfect smile.
Lars leans closer and tilts his head downwards. Sadie's laughter subsides and she leans up in turn. Little butterflies flutter in her stomach, like they're going to break free and fly away. Her eyes close when their lips connect.
The kiss is slow and sweet. Lars tasted like cinnamon toothpaste, while Sadie held the flavor of mint. Lars released her hand and moved his arm so he could twist towards her. Sadie shifted as well, straightening and curling her toes and reaching up to thread her fingers through Lars's wildly curly Mohawk. Their slight awkwardness makes the whole situation ever cuter, at least to Sadie.
After a moment, Sadie begins to mumble something between kisses. She manages a timid "I love you." Who knew three simple words could leave someone so nervous and breathless and hopeful and joyous all at once?
Lars suddenly pulls back, and Sadie's heart drops. But he quickly pulls Sadie into his lap, with her legs around his waist and her arms around his neck. She breaths a sigh of relief, glad he hadn't withdrawn from those three words. Lars places his hands on her waist, his thumbs hooking in the pockets of her dark red hoodie. A faint blush creeps across both of their cheeks, and Lars's exposed ears flush as well. He draws his legs closer, so that Sadie can lean back and have support.
This time Sadie is the one to start the kiss. She presses light little pecks to his jaw, then the corner of his mouth, and finally his lips. Lars took it upon himself to deepen the kiss before she could tease him again, closing his eyes and pressing her close against him. Sadie's fingertips brushed against the orange fuzz on Lar's skull. Her heart hammered at every little contact that sent sparks running through her veins. God, how she loved this boy. This jerky, sensitive, sweet-on-the-inside, know-it-all boy.
It seems like hours, but minutes later, Lars pulls away again. Sadie bites her bottom lip to contain her smile as she cracks open one eye and watches him. She could feel tears gathering in the corners of her eyes, but she wasn't sad. She was happy beyond belief. For so long had she believed that Lars didn't care for her anymore. After the fire salt revenge-fueled prank, and then what happened on the Island, Lars had been so distant from her. It tore her up, brought her to tears every night and made her long for their old, awkward friendship. Friendship was better than nothing, although Sadie wouldn't lie; she had loved Lars more than he ever knew for a long time now.
But it turns out I have nothing to worry about! Sadie thought happily, giving in and grinning at Lars. He loves me, and I love him, and everything's going to be better than ever now.
Lars cocked his head, smiling back at her. He ran a hand through her hair, brushing her hold back as he did. "I love you, too, Sadie," he whispered at last. Their eyes met. Pretty blue and olive green...
But suddenly, Lars's smile faded. It twisted into a crooked frown, a scowl. His hands tugged at her hair a bit, making her wince, and then he pulled away. Sadie opened her mouth to ask what was wrong, but nothing would come out. Her voices were empty and voiceless. She began to panic, grasping for him desperately, to hold her best friend and make it better, to fix things between them with whatever it took. No matter how far she reached, Lars was too far away, even though she was still in his lap.
The moon behind them dimmed, and the waves became deafening, roaring and snarling and crashing hard against Sadie's back. The salty water gathered around her, somehow filling her ears and making her hold her head up just to keep her nose above water. She cried silently, struggling to reach her Lars as she was swept away. Into the sea like Alice in her tears. She watched Lars step away from the hungry waves and her tears dripped into the ravenous ocean.
Finally she found her voice. She screamed as loud as she could.
"Lars, Lars!" Sadie sobbed, struggling to keep her head above water. The brine burned it's way down her throat and she choked and sputtered. "Lars, please! Come back! Please, please, I'm sorry!"

Sadie gasps and shoots up. Her blankets are heaped on the floor on both sides of her bed, and her body is wracked with feverish chills. She's drenched in sweat, her her breathing is more like panting. She glances over at the electric clock on her bedside table. Bright red numbers read 3:14.
Sadie looks around her room as she strains to regain a somewhat steady breathing pace. Running her hands through her sweat-matted hair, she bows her head and releases a shaky sob. She reaches for a pillow, pressing it against her face to muffle her crying. She didn't want her mom to hear. She knew if she came in, Sadie would have to relive her bittersweet nightmare by explaining it to her mother.
She should have known. Sadie groaned, and her thick frame rattled with each rough intake of air. There was no way Lars would ever love her like that. Not these days. Lars had distanced himself from her, secluded himself and put up too many walls. Sadie had no idea why.
All she knew was that they would never be the same, no matter how hard she tried.